Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 Channel amps get too hot on Havazo?

FASTERDAMITT
    Will a five channel be ok without getting to hot or should I go with two seperate amps?

Phat Matt
    They all get hot depending on your install. 2 would probably be better but if you are limited on space one can work. Put fans on it.

FASTERDAMITT
    Thanks. I heard 4ohms is better than 2ohms as for how hard the amp is working? Any imput on this?

Havasu Hangin'
    Thanks. I heard 4ohms is better than 2ohms as for how hard the amp is working? Any imput on this?
    Yes. The lower the ohm load, the less the resistance, the higher the output on the amp (with an unregulated power supply).
    More output = more heat.
    Most guys don't want to spend money on a big amp, and not use it to it's potential. It's kinda like buying a 1,400HP engine, but putting a 3,000 RPM limiter on it.
    Most guys just load them as low as possible, then get some good circulation over them and call it a day.

INSman
    Something can be said for circuitry as well, like a class 'D' that will run much cooler due to the setup or maybe it is class 'B', somebody knows. Look into JL Audio or even better and you should not have a problem. Just don't buy on Watts Per Channel or RMS numbers alone !!!

FASTERDAMITT
    So running an amp at 4ohms is less load than 2 ?

Havasu Hangin'
    So running an amp at 4ohms is less load than 2 ?
    More resistance = less power output
    Just think of the speaker resistance as the throttle plates on a carb. Lower ohms means the plates are open farther, and the engine revs higher.

FASTERDAMITT
    The sub I have is 2ohms. Can I run the 4 6.5's at 4ohms and the sub at 2ohms on a 5 channel amp? Should I buy a 4ohm sub?

Havasu Hangin'
    The sub I have is 2ohms. Can I run the 4 6.5's at 4ohms and the sub at 2ohms on a 5 channel amp? Should I buy a 4ohm sub?
    I think it depends on the amp- some will not take a 2 ohm mono load.

sigepmock
    1994 called, they want their amp back.
    That right there was funny. :rollside:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast