Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Pressure - how much is too much?

78DiMarco
    72, I agree with you. I always make sure I have the oil warm before I put any RPM's to it. The new block and rotating gear was all machined to close tolerances like any good custom motor.
    It's possible that the check valve is not releasing properly or there is something wrong with the pump as people have suggested. My engine builder still says that it is OK as do some of our fellow readers.
    I need to put a secondary mechanical pressure guage on the block and see what it reads, then I will know for sure how much pressure I have.

Tinkerer
    72spectra-- Yes the pump only puts out a fixed amount of oil per revolution but their is a high pressure version that comes with a high presure relief valve. With a properly clearanced engine it will produce over 90 PSI. That is way too much oil pressure for a high performance marine engine.

72Spectra
    Tinker, what is the brand of this high pressure pump. Your right 90psi is to much. I saw once where a guy put to many washers in the relief spring setup and ripped the bottom of the oil filter right off. What a mess that was. The best advice I can give is to cut the oil filter open when you change your oil and inspect it. If something is coming apart you will know it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12