Thread: Talking heads

Towndrunk
    It seems that rectangular open port heads are the hot ticket when building a BBC. Why not oval ports or closed chambers?

fc-pilot
    Not for every application. Oval ports can be great for an above average lake boat. Some of the rectangle ports can be too much for a lake boat that does not run over 5500 RPM's. It all depends on the boat, the setup and the other engine components. It all comes down to building the whole package to work together.
    Paul

QuickJet
    More often than not rectangle ports are the way to go. Towndrunk, keep searching for the heads. You'll find 'em and be happy that you did!!!

WannabeRacing
    It takes quite a bit to make closed chamber heads to really flow with the open chamber deals. Now it is starting to be a matter of parts. Tough to find the right pistons on the shelf for closed chamber stuff, but everyone and their dog has fifty sets for open chamber stuff.
    As for the rectangle, the FunnyCar guy is right. Square ports have a much larger intake cc. They run much better higher in the rpm band. Don't ask a standard oval port to run in the 6000-7000 range. But if you are going to keep the engine as very mild, and keep the rpms way down, the ovals are a decent option. And easy to find.
    I would hold out for a decent set of square ports. I keep lending mine out and they keep coming back broken, so, sorry. I don't have any to sell cheap.
    Good luck to you!

Fired Up
    I have a set of clean 049's (large oval ports) in case you are interested.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I ran into this last year!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went through hell to find my set of closed chambered rectangular heads. I would change pistons and go with opens! I have a closed chambered motor and it hauls the mail.
    P.s i have a set of 049's and 781's for sale if your interested

GofastRacer
    I ran into this last year!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went through hell to find my set of closed chambered rectangular heads. I would change pistons and go with opens! I have a closed chambered motor and it hauls the mail.
    P.s i have a set of 049's and 781's for sale if your interested
    Are the 049's stock??, if so how much???..

Fired Up
    GFR, check your PM's...

GofastRacer
    GFR, check your PM's...
    Back at ya!..

Towndrunk
    I think I have closed a deal on a set of 990's.
    Thanks guys.
    TD