Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: steering bezel

I wont set my picture to load in here because it's huge but will this bezel from rex work/replace with my current setup. The bezel i have now is a bit beat! The bezel from rex only has 1 hole thats a perfect circle from the pic on the site but my bezel looks to have a rectangle in it. If the part i'm looking at is not right any idea where i can get the right part?
    Rex Marine Bezel page... http://rexmar.com/page92.html (bottom right corner)
    My current bezel... http://reitanfamily.com/gallery/d/6741-3/IM001250.jpg
    Also the s/s stainless steering wheels on that page, anybody seen those but with like a foam/wet suit type material covering it? The stearing wheel that came out of my boat had this type, i'm looking for the same thing.

GofastRacer
    Here's how it fits, compare it to yours!..
    Install! (http://rexmar.com/page95.html)

Shaun, I don't think the Rex bezel(or any other, for that matter) is going to work for you. It appears you have a Kiekhaffer(sp?)/Mercury Marine rack and pinion steering assembly. Had the same in my old Tahiti. Actually still have it out in the garage. Your "bezel" is the entire mounting assembly and pinion housing for the unit. It should have three studs on the back that secure it to the dash and two long bolts that attach the "rack" portion of the rack and pinion to it. One long through bolt that holds the steering wheel adapter.
    So the bad news is you can't replace it with one of the aftermarket bezels. The good news is that it is aluminum and can be polished/anodized/powdercoated to match your trim. It is very easy to disconnect the rack and then remove and dissassemble the mount.

Just realized I had this pic of the steering rack you appear to have. You can see how it is constructed.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3633Rack2.JPG

that looks exactly like the one i have... I need a new cable also, how hard is it going to be for me to find a cable for this and where can i get one?

Shaun, OS is correct the bezel won't work on that helm. You'd have to replace the whole system to use the bezel.
    I may have or can get quickly that cable. See if you can get any numbers off the jacket. I need a length to tell you.

Rex,
    Bah, just droped the boat off today at storage for the week, will be picking it back up friday to work on this weekend. I'll get you whatever i can find off the cable.
    If i wanted to just upgrade the hole system what would you recommend?

Rex,
    Bah, just droped the boat off today at storage for the week, will be picking it back up friday to work on this weekend. I'll get you whatever i can find off the cable.
    If i wanted to just upgrade the hole system what would you recommend?
    The best thing going for the money on whole systems is the Teleflex for $159. With your square shaft Rideguide helm though it would require you get a new wheel hub having a round tapered hole with key. Not a big deal but it is an extra few bucks.
    Another step up is the Uflex system, a little more money, a little better helm design too IMO. Allow us a little time on the Uflex as I don't have the stock depth yet on them that I do in Teleflex. Btw the Hardin stuff that's on our website I no longer handle, just fyi (I need to get that off there). Let us know if and how we can help when the time comes.

lucky
    Rex , always the good guy

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Rex , always the good guy
    Good guys always finish last :crossx:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast