Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: steering bezel

The complete kits include the cable too is that correct? I didnt see the teleflex kits on your site, am i blind?
    I havnt pulled the existing system out yet but i assume theirs 1 hole in the dash for the steering shaft and then 3 others that bolt to the bezel? What are the chances of this new system using all the existing holes and me not having to put more holes in the boat?
    The best thing going for the money on whole systems is the Teleflex for $159. With your square shaft Rideguide helm though it would require you get a new wheel hub having a round tapered hole with key. Not a big deal but it is an extra few bucks.
    Another step up is the Uflex system, a little more money, a little better helm design too IMO. Allow us a little time on the Uflex as I don't have the stock depth yet on them that I do in Teleflex. Btw the Hardin stuff that's on our website I no longer handle, just fyi (I need to get that off there). Let us know if and how we can help when the time comes.

bump?

The complete kits include the cable too is that correct? I didnt see the teleflex kits on your site, am i blind?
    I didn't see them either, but I think the Hardin units are very similar in design to the Teleflex. Might try checking on the Teleflex website.
    A complete kit WILL include a cable, but you need to figure out the length before you order.
    That Rexone guy is slacking off these days might just try calling over there for the info.
    I havnt pulled the existing system out yet but i assume theirs 1 hole in the dash for the steering shaft and then 3 others that bolt to the bezel? What are the chances of this new system using all the existing holes and me not having to put more holes in the boat?
    Chances are about the same as hitting the Lotto and being struck by lightning at the same time.......slim to none. You are correct that there is one oblong hole for the shaft to pass through and 3 9/16" holes for the mounting bolts/studs. Pretty sure all the holes will be hidden by the bezel for the new system.

I didn't see them either, but I think the Hardin units are very similar in design to the Teleflex. Might try checking on the Teleflex website.
    A complete kit WILL include a cable, but you need to figure out the length before you order.
    That Rexone guy is slacking off these days might just try calling over there for the info.
    Chances are about the same as hitting the Lotto and being struck by lightning at the same time.......slim to none. You are correct that there is one oblong hole for the shaft to pass through and 3 9/16" holes for the mounting bolts/studs. Pretty sure all the holes will be hidden by the bezel for the new system.
    I think you are correct on both the above :rollside:
    I don't have the Teleflex up on the site yet Shaun, I need to get the Hardin off and the Teleflex on.... soon. :boxed:
    They do come complete with cable.

MadPoodle
    Actually, if your keeping the cable system, the best ones going right now are the Uflex systems.. The planetary gear setup takes a LOT of the slop out of it, and price wise they are very competitive, ie: helm with 15' cable for 120 bucks & shipping...

shirkey4750
    Check e-bay, I found one just like it for an old Wriedt daycruiser I had. I think I paid like $20 for it and it was in excellent shape. I think I still have the steering helm, as all I needed was the cable.

ok, sounds like i should go with the Uflex, rex you said to allow you some time... How long we talking?
    I measured my steering cable today... From where the red starts to where it ends cam out to 15' and 4". So i'm going to guess i just got alittle crazy and it's really 15'.
    From where the red stops at the end of the cable (the peice that goes through the transom) was about 10" long and the steering shaft after that was another 12"...
    So how do i figure out what size cable i need. do i total everything together?
    Also, i was running a 1 peice bowl, but i had it converted to a split bowl... i'm also running a droop now and will add a manual place diverter down the road.. I assume i'm goign to need to add a some extra length because of that?

boats&bars
    Replace the helm you will thank yourself later

Hmm, found this on uflex's website.
    http://www.uflexusa.com/select_a_steering/6-3.jpg
    So according to that 15' 4" is 180" + 22" comes out to 206 divded by 12... 17.17, they say to round up but i'm just going to round down to 17ft
    17ft sounds like alot though, expecially considering the boat is 18ft... Is this right?

That sounds about right. While it sounds like a lot, the length is for the inner portion of cable. Remember, the cable routing has it going a couple feet across the boat at the helm and the transom.
    You WONT need extra length for the droop but you will need a "steering extension" that fits on the end of the cable. I would also recommend a "swivel connection kit". Both items are on this page of Rex catalog. (http://rexmar.com/page120.html)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast