Thread: fiberglass tanks

DOZZR
    Definately not my preference, but its what I'm stuck with for the upcoming season (I need to put the $$$$ into the appearance of course) the setup that came with the boat is sound, no leaks,works just fine, except one tank feeds faster than the other. but there is no venting system, so there is a continuous gas smell, not enough to ignite just a whiff here and there.
    When I first got the boat 71 Kona, the fuell filler caps, actually the seats for the caps had been notched so the pressure could escape......the problem with that was fuel would blow out of the caps as well. My question is, has anyone dealt with this problem or is it even a problem. I would feel safer if I were to just tap the aluminum filler housing and run a venting system, but the way I lost fuel out of the vented/notched caps I am afraid I would leave a fuel trail behind the boat if I were to vent the system.
    I waste enough gas with my foot, I don't need any help by pumping it out of the venting system.
    And thanks again for the killer welcome !!!
    John

jkh04200
    All I kinow is what I've read. The ethanol that is now in gasoline dissolves the resin in fiberglass tanks. I'd spend the $$$$ on a new tank. Somebody could get hurt, bad. Just my .02

DEL51
    are your tanks on each side by the gunnel? If they don't leak, your lucky considering the age of the boat.One tank drops fuel faster than the other? the tanks are connected to a "T" or a"Y" ? The Venting is currently through the fill caps, many boats use this. the fuel exiting the cap vent ocuurs when?How are the fuel lines running from each tank? I posted these questions so we can help you determine whats next.

DOZZR
    Hello del and thanks,
    first off the lines are the same length and size, they "T" off and a single line to the fuel pump feeds the carb. The only venting right now ocurs when enough pressure builds to blow by the rubber gasket on the clip lock cap. I have kept a close eye on it when running it hard, and if I pop the cap right after a run there is no pressure, so I am assuming that it is not sealing completely (although there is no more fuel leaking). the only people that will be in the boat is my daughter, and friends. So safety is #1
    The tanks look like they might have been redone.... possibly, there is a section of the carpet notched out and you can just look at the glassed area to see how much fuel is there. I have looked into a custom plastic tank that fits under the floorboard but needless to say costom tanks are pricy, If this is a concern I should take seriously, then I will do with out some of the "BLING" lol and make sure I dont burn the dam thing up, or more importantly....hurt someone. Thanks for you're input, have a good one, John

Wicked Performance Boats
    The fuel tank caps are meant to be vented internally. If you open the cap and you can push on the rubber seal and there is a spring behind it. Just replace the rubber seal. That's all the venting you need. Somebody may have cut the gasket thinking they needed to cut it to vent. And always leave at least 1" air space in your tanks for expansion. Budlight

Goad
    check out these state of the art tanks i pulled from my '69 wriedt!
    http://www.socaljetboats.com/cpg/alb...2/IMG_0744.jpg
    the filler necks were sheered off on both tanks....there is fuel stains on both tanks showing that they have been leaking for years!
    now i just need to find some replacements.

DOZZR
    check out these state of the art tanks i pulled from my '69 wriedt!
    http://www.socaljetboats.com/cpg/alb...2/IMG_0744.jpg
    the filler necks were sheered off on both tanks....there is fuel stains on both tanks showing that they have been leaking for years!
    now i just need to find some replacements.
    There is a guy that came by my shop wanting me to build him some cabinets and he had his own business as well, he manufactures specialty plastic racing tanks. as well as fuel cells, I am trying to find out if he has done any for boats and how well they work. I'll keep you posted ...John