Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSD dist and drive gear

CampbellCarl
    Putting together a BBC for use in old Howard DC jet. Have a MSD dist pn 85551 and MSD site sez their shaft size is .500". Purchased a Mr Gasket drive gear and their site sez fits .491" shaft size. Haven't tried to press on but when I hold the parts together, seems like it's a no fit. I know it's only .009" diff but will these work together or do I buy a gear from MSD?
    Carl

BDMar
    It may not seem like much, but .009 is a mile when pressing a part over a shaft. The distributor gear should be only about a half thousanths / .0005 LARGER than the shaft and push on by hand. There are a few different diameter shafts for the BBC. The most common is about .490. If the shaft is actually .500 get the gear from MSD. I don't have an MSD out of an engine to measure.

BDMar
    It may not seem like much, but .009 is a mile when pressing a part over a shaft. The distributor gear should be only about a half thousanths / .0005 LARGER than the shaft and push on by hand. There are a few different diameter shafts for the BBC. The most common is about .490. If the shaft is actually .500 get the gear from MSD. I don't have an MSD out of an engine to measure.

Moneypitt
    Fiat48 responed to someone with this same issue, look around here in gearheads and you'll find the thread...........MP

CampbellCarl
    Thanx Thanx BD and MP, I'll look around. I do have an outside mic and I measured the MSD shaft and it is .500"
    Carl

Squeezing Spectra
    Carl i will check the garage and see if i can find one for you ill let you know ASAP. Thanks B

CampbellCarl
    Thanx Bruce, I appreciate it.
    Carl

centerhill condor
    I experienced the same difference. Simply drilled out the plastic gear to the right dia. Mounted and problem solved. the plastic gear is about $110. I have a .500 bronze gear from an msd if interested.
    CC

lucky
    hey campbell carl -- could you tell me where i could find a campbell site - i know i came across it once , need to find it for a friend - have ya seen it huh , huh , huh lol

CampbellCarl
    Thanx CC, let's see if SqueezinSpectra can find one in his garage, it's just down the street from me. If Bruce ain't got one, I'll pm you and do a dealio.
    Lucky, try this, in the search the internet box, type in 'campbell boats' or campbell boat service.......it'll be like MAGIC!
    Carl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast