Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone going to try the LS7 motor?

A guy pulled the motor out of his boat a couple years ago and weighed it on a truck scale. It was a complete BBF with everything it would take to run and it weighed in at 750 lbs. It was a single carb, aluminum intake, with iron heads.
    BBFs are known to be on the heavy side, but I'd think a BBC would still be within 50-75 lbs. of it.

Big blocks come in at 650-660
    An aluminum headed BBC is usually in the 750 lb range.
    If I had the money and wanted to go that fast, Id build the same engine Black Bear has, not sure If id go aluminum or not though.I dont think the small block is even worth trying in a fast jetboat. Too many things going against it in my opinion

I know of a N/A AL BBC that makes on the order of 1,250+ Hp w/o n2o which weighs in just under 600 lbs..
    Ive seen a few of those on the scale, very impressive..Too light for boats like ours IMO.

Wet Dream
    Ok, I'm w.......wr........wron........ you know what I mean
    Granted, I never weighed one, but there was a thread a while ago that was putting them in at mid 6's, thats where my info came from.

maxwedge
    I think one of the aluminum boat guys might need to try this motor out. seems perfect for that application, if not overkill...or has it been done already?

UBFJ #454
    Chris - The under 600 lb.'er I was referring to is Jerry's ... Ours weighs 724 wet.

Aluminum Squirt
    Most of the guys in B class (<than 367CI....I think?) are making over 600HP already and I think their set ups are full aluminum so there would be no point except the novelty. 600HP is not going to be competitive in either A or Unlimited class. I just don't see a spot for it in white water racing and I'm betting its pretty expensive. It would be a blast in a recreational boat or an exploration/play boat. Again, probably pretty spendy but it sure would look cool. Most of the upper class racers are putting their heads together to try to make some rule changes and make competing a little cheaper, this motor would definetly not go along with that plan! I like the idea though, if my lottery numbers are right tonight, I'll give it a try.....starting tomorrow-Aluminum Squirt

Chris -Ours weighs 724 wet.
    724 isnt bad considering everything you have on that engine.
    Ive seen the numbers on most of the boats we pit with, but they seem to have slipped my mind.

... I just don't see a spot for it in white water racing and I'm betting its pretty expensive. It would be a blast in a recreational boat or an exploration/play boat. .....
    The article quotes a projected price of $16,795 and there will supposedly be less than 150 available. Wanna bet the majority end up in high-buck street rods?

MACHINEHEAD
    I bet mercruiser is lookin real hard at it though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12