Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California Carbon Monoxide Stickers!

Boatcop
    I got the definitive answer to the question about the CO stickers, a lot of you got with your registration. Straight from the California Boating Law Administrator.
    A California dealer who sells a boat in California has to affix the sticker(s) to the stern and to an area around the helm. (Steering wheel for you land-lubbers)
    A current boat owner is under no legal obligation to affix the decals, nor is a buyer of a used boat who gets the decals with their registration required to put them on.
    There is no "in-the-field" enforcement authority tied to the decals or lack thereof. California Officers will not be using the lack of a sticker to stop boats, nor will they be issuing citations.
    Authorities will, however, be actively looking for, citing and/or arresting people who are "Teak Dragging" or are otherwise engaging in boating activities where a person is being towed in close proximity to the stern of a running vessel.
    The purpose of the decals is to raise awareness of the CO problem, and the potential for serious injury or death from Carbon Monoxide inhalation. Their use and display is voluntary and ENCOURAGED.
    For more info on Carbon Monoxide and boating, please check out this link:
    The Silent Killer (http://www.uscgboating.org/articles/...iew.aspx?id=22)

RiverDave
    Would you put those stickers on your boat? (Wearing the hat as Alan owner of Strip Search, not BoatCop)
    RD

riverracerx
    Get two and use them as pasties.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    i don't get "teak surfing". what and why ??

riverbound
    i don't get "teak surfing". what and why ??
    Basically the idea is to hang on to the swim step and breath as much CO as you can.
    Alan, do AZ boats get the stickers??

riverbound
    Get two and use them as pasties.
    God Idea....and it comes with 2 (one for the stern and one fro the helm)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    [QUOTE=riverbound]Basically the idea is to hang on to the swim step and breath as much CO as you can.
    QUOTE]
    I still don't get it, why???

RiverDave
    [QUOTE=riverbound]Basically the idea is to hang on to the swim step and breath as much CO as you can.
    QUOTE]
    I still don't get it, why???
    Apparently people are / where hanging onto the swim steps of wakeboard boats and jet boats and getting dragged through the water.. Why? To cool off, or maybe it sounded like a good idea at the time.
    I guess nobody realized, that the exhaust of the boat comes out right there, and people inhale CO pass out and sink to the bottom..
    CO is colorless and odorless so the theory is they didn't see it coming.
    In REALITY though, boat exhaust is made up of alot more then Carbon monoxide. So it is not odorless to say the least. How these people could not know they were sucking fumes is beyond me.
    RD

YeLLowBoaT
    they had some 13 y/o kid die last year... it was what started this whole shbang. teak surfing is like valley surfing with out a surf bored.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    Apparently people are / where hanging onto the swim steps of wakeboard boats and jet boats and getting dragged through the water.. Why? To cool off, or maybe it sounded like a good idea at the time.
    I guess nobody realized, that the exhaust of the boat comes out right there, and people inhale CO pass out and sink to the bottom..
    CO is colorless and odorless so the theory is they didn't see it coming.
    In REALITY though, boat exhaust is made up of alot more then Carbon monoxide. So it is not odorless to say the least. How these people could not know they were sucking fumes is beyond me.
    RD
    You would think the fact that there is a prop spinning back there would be enough to keep people inside the boat while running????
    Stupid people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast