Thread: Applying Gelcoat

63stevens
    How hard is it to apply gelcoat. I've put on alot of paint but never Gelcoat. Can you rent guns or do you have to buy them.

SERIOUS ISSUES
    63stevens:
    How hard is it to apply gelcoat. I've put on alot of paint but never Gelcoat. Can you rent guns or do you have to buy them. I used a regular paint gun. If you have one w/ a big tip it will work better. just reduce it down w/ acetone. it is not that hard but gel does come out w/ a bit of orange peal. also there is something that is suposed to be mixed in w/ it like a wax or something. it floats to the top to keep air from getting to the top layer of gel and lets it cure. I made the mistake of not using it on the floor of my boat and I had to keep wiping it down w/ acetone until it cured. that sucks.

Sangster
    Gel-coat guns run about $130.00.....Depending on what your doing, it can be rolled on or applied with a brush...I found that either way its applied, mix as per directions on the can, apply as many coats as needed to cover..When thick enough I Spray a coat of PVA over it to cure it instead of useing a wax coat..Or if it's a large area, use a Duratec additive with the final coat..It will help eliminate pits & orange peel, plus it does the cureing at the same time...

Sangster
    PM me for more info if needed.....
    [ August 28, 2003, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Sangster ]