Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini SUV's - Which are good?

C-2
    IÂ’m looking for a small SUV to drive around the hood. High mileage and abuse, so nothing too nice. $25-$30K range.
    Anybody have one? Which do I stay away from?
    I like the Toyota FJ Cruiser – it looks cool, seems like a good deal. The new Jeep Patriot seems to be a good buy too.
    Some of the American cars are cool too – but I’m a little worried about reliability. Honda, Nissan and Toyotas seem to be a lot more bullet-proof on the mileage (about 40-60K per year).
    Your thoughts????

Mrs.Racer277
    IÂ’m looking for a small SUV to drive around the hood. High mileage and abuse, so nothing too nice. $25-$30K range.
    Anybody have one? Which do I stay away from?
    I like the Toyota FJ Cruiser – it looks cool, seems like a good deal. The new Jeep Patriot seems to be a good buy too.
    Some of the American cars are cool too – but I’m a little worried about reliability. Honda, Nissan and Toyotas seem to be a lot more bullet-proof on the mileage (about 40-60K per year).
    Your thoughts????
    Had my lil blazer for 11 years. Actually still have it...tows the boat to the ramp and back in Havi. 150,000 miles and still towing. I really had good luck with it.

TheCarDudes
    If you are seriously going to put lots of miles on it and do above average abuse, you should probably stick with a Toyota. A 4-Runner is a good choice.

RiverOtter
    I have an 04 4Runner. 90% city driving and still gets 19.5 mpg. When I mix in a good amount of highway driving the average starts climbing over 20. (it's a V6). I really wanted the FJ but one of my kids didn't like it because the tomb like back seat. We live on a mountain and he probably would have gotten motion sickness. My wife didn't like it becasuse of the funky back seat doors. I really liked the way it drove. Same drivetrain as the 4Runner so you really can't go wrong.

Flyinbowtie
    My wife has a Mitsubishi Montero Sport. It is a '03, and the damn thing is built like a brick. She is not easy on cars, the last Explorer she had ran up the white flag with 90k on it.
    She wanted the Montero because a neighbor has one with 185k that has never had any problems. None.
    This thing appears indestructable. We live in the hills, and the brakes are going to make 40k before replacing. It has lots of room when the back seat folds down for trips to Costco, and the AWD set-up works surprisingly well in icy conditions, and we have come over Donner Pass in 4Hi and onto Hwy. 20 almost pushing snow with the bumper.
    It gets around 21 on the highway at 75 MPH.

XtrmWakeborder
    My 95 blazer has 161,000 miles on it. The tranny went out at about 120k I think, but other than that and a few small problems it's been bulletproof. It has deffinately made me a believer in american cars again. My moms Camry died at 130k I think. 16mpg sucks ass though.

C-2
    Thanks guys - keep em coming.
    RiverOtter thanks for the heads up on the drivetrain. How is the Fourunner compared to the FJ in size?
    Mistubishi huh? Will have to check it out

Troy McClure
    Your thoughts????
    I hear you can get a Rhino for about that price range AND they go anywhere. You can even put them in the back of a pickup!
    OK Rhino guys, relax, i'm J/k.

SHOTKALLIN
    http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...6/86946826.htm
    the original SUV
    this is my next vehicle. put a shiat load of miles on it and you will not lose any value. A classic car that someone will always want to buy off you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast