Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Casale gear question

Nailhead
    Iv'e got a set of 18's in my 10 degree. The lower gear looks like the standard gear. The upper gear has a big bearing in the middle. When I rotate the input shaft right it is locked and the output shaft spins as normal, When I rotate left on the input shaft only the upper gear spins. What are these used for?

Moneypitt
    Alright, something is fishy here. If the upper and lower gear are meshed in one direction, they are meshed in the other. Meshed gears must turn with each other. It is possible the output shaft doesn't turn, but only if there are directional drive dogs, (usually) and/or a Whirlaway type rachet within the box between the gear and the output to the prop shaft. ........MP

Nailhead
    Alright, something is fishy here. If the upper and lower gear are meshed in one direction, they are meshed in the other. Meshed gears must turn with each other. It is possible the output shaft doesn't turn, but only if there are directional drive dogs, (usually) and/or a Whirlaway type rachet within the box between the gear and the output to the prop shaft. ........MP
    Thats must be what those bearings are doing one the upper gear. They act like a freewheel when spun to the left. Is that suppose to be some sort of internal whirlaway?

GofastRacer
    Wow never seen that before??, but it sounds like like a one way clutch something like the old Stellings release??.. What about gear changes?????????....

Nailhead
    Wow never seen that before??, but it sounds like like a one way clutch something like the old Stellings release??.. What about gear changes?????????....
    I should be able to use standard gears. When I opened the case up the gears came right out like normal. Just the upper gear had that bearing built into it.

Moneypitt
    Thats must be what those bearings are doing one the upper gear. They act like a freewheel when spun to the left. Is that suppose to be some sort of internal whirlaway?
    If the upper gear turns, the lower gear turns. If there is a rachet type clutch or whatever in the center of the upper gear then the upper shaft spins inside the gear in reverse rotation, and NEITHER gear turns, right?........MP

GofastRacer
    Hey Nailhead, can you post a pic of this I can't quite visualize this, I'm sure it's a simple deal if we could see it!..

Nailhead
    If the upper gear turns, the lower gear turns. If there is a rachet type clutch or whatever in the center of the upper gear then the upper shaft spins inside the gear in reverse rotation, and NEITHER gear turns, right?........MP
    RIGHT, neither gear turns when spun in the reverse.

Nailhead
    Hey Nailhead, can you post a pic of this I can't quite visualize this, I'm sure it's a simple deal if we could see it!..
    I'll send you some pictures if you can post them

Moneypitt
    RIGHT, neither gear turns when spun in the reverse.
    It is a little easier to visualize now with neither gear turning. .........MP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast