Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Project Hawaiian Part II

DelawareDave
    The deck is bonded back on about 3/4's of the way around. Where the tape is, it is done, on the inside, at least. Once it is done inside, I will grind the seam and glass it on the outside as well. I don't want the rub rail on there. I like the look without it much better.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...3062Deck16.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...3062Deck17.JPG

LynnsJet
    You must be spending a lot of time standing on your head.. I may come up the day you glass under the front deck. I think that should be fun to watch (LOL)
    L J

DelawareDave
    I did some of it last nite. I got up to about 2 feet from the bow, on one side. I do have to do the bow a little different, tho. It is a tight fit for me, for sure! There isn't enuff room for me, and the bowl of resin, and the fiberglass. I am gonna get one of the kids to help me. They can dip the cloth, and hand it to me on a stick, and I'll shove it into place. Either that, or convince the daughter to get up in there, instead of me. She's about 105# and should fit in there with no problem.
    I don't envy the guys that do this stuff for a living. Guys like Old Rigger that used to get up in there and do this on a regular basis. Got to be a very small framed person to get up in there!

jets4me
    man i would not want to be up in the bow when that glass starts cureing man does that stuff smell when it is harding it is looking good see ya

DelawareDave
    Here are the latest pics. We, meaning myself, a friend, and my daughter, turned this thing over today. I fabricated some 4x4's for the deck to sit on, and attached them to the dolly the boat has been on. Height is about perfect to work on the bottom and transom. The bottom is in need of a bit of straightening. Or should I say a lot of straightening! :cry:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...062Bottom2.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...062Bottom3.JPG

This has to be one of the best posts i've seen since JetHydro cut the bottom out of his boat. Keep up the good work, i wish my glass work looked and turned out as good as yours.

texas-19
    Ya,really nice work and alot of it.Please be sure to take a picture with a straight edge across the bottom so we can see how far off it is.

DelawareDave
    I did map it out yesterday to see how bad it is. Not as bad as I expected. I started sanding off the paint and whatever that is on the bottom. The has been some prior "repairs" done there, and I also have to fix a crack that I found on the inside. After the paint is gone, I will remap and post up some pics. The marks will show better on the glass.

DelawareDave
    I need to get some pics posted from the last week or 2! I have been working on the bottom, still. I had to take off about 1/4"+ directly behind the intake opening, and add some to each side of the opening. The rest is not too bad at all, maybe 1/8" max here and there.
    I know that grinding the bottom is not recommended at all, but I really had little to no choice. It was that or add over 1/4" to 90% of the last 5 feet of the hull, almost all the way from one side to the other. Once it is relatively straight, if I need to make it thicker, I will add to the inside. It would only be an area about 6" wide, right in the center, behind the intake, anyway. I still have to check the opening for square to the boat, as well as where it is in relation to the transom.
    I am also working on grinding out the area that was cracked (see post 28) in order to fix it.

snake321
    I'm glad that you're name isn't Noah and that wasn't a rain drop I just felt....