Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Hawaiian Part II

DelawareDave
    i would suggest the same if you want that boat to be anything but a ski boat. i extended mine to just in front of the rear seats and it made alot of difference. stiffer boat better ride and the hook is gone a little faster. you'll regret it later if you want to run past the seventies.
    I don't have any plans to have this boat anything but stock. 455 Olds, Berk JC pump, through transom logs, etc. I just want to get her in the water and have some fun.

DelawareDave
    That thing looks nice!! What kind of wood are you using?
    Plywood is 3/4" Douglas Fir, 7 ply, finished 2 sides, and plain old kiln dried 2x8 Douglas Fir, trimmed to size, and selected for minimum knots. Available at your local Home Depot!

mrgoslow
    I don't have any plans to have this boat anything but stock. 455 Olds, Berk JC pump, through transom logs, etc. I just want to get her in the water and have some fun.
    golden!

fkeys
    Excellent post!! I'm working on my Hawaiian too. I'm going with the 10 ft stringers. It's been a hell of a lot of itchy work, but worth it. Thanks for the post & pics. Good luck. I'll be following you progress.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...76DSC02900.JPG

DelawareDave
    I took a flat wide dull chisel (3") and split the old glass where the stringers were covered. I wanted to get to the actual hull. I found they weren't all that bonded well, either. I also ground off all the black coating where I plan to add glass to make sure of a good bond. You should start a thread and post pics of your progress.

fkeys
    I should. I have 157 pics showing progress from the beginning.

DelawareDave
    Transom is now in place. I should be able to clean it up tomorrow, and fill in around the edges with some "kitty hair" filler. I am going to try and get the strakes filled as well, so that I can get this project going forward.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...62Transom3.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...62Transom4.JPG

apollo18
    Looks good Dave! How much mat did you use between the wood and the transom? Any suggestions (tips or tricks) for someone doing the same project?
    Keep the pics coming.

redleader@Anna
    Hey dave,
    Is the boat gonna make Anna? If not what are you bringing as your backup? :rollside:

DelawareDave
    Looks good Dave! How much mat did you use between the wood and the transom? Any suggestions (tips or tricks) for someone doing the same project?
    Keep the pics coming.
    I don't have any special tricks ! But prep is the key. I had everything cleaned up, fitted the wood, then rounded the edges that go against the shell. I cut all the clamping boards, and the holes for the clamps to go thru. Then it was a matter of cutting the glass to size, sloppin' the resin on, setting the wood in place, and clamping it together.
    I used 1 layer of 1 1/2 oz mat against the wood, then a layer of 8 oz cloth over it. The cloth went against the shell.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast