Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ***C H P, L E , D M V . . . anyone?????

79 HUSTLER
    Got a question about vehicle weights and license's. I have a truck that is registered with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds and has air brakes. When I bought the truck I was told 26,000#s and under was fine for a class C license (so I did the GVWR as low as possible). I was also told that when I bought the truck (2005) that I did not need any airbrake endorsements, but that law was to change Jan 2006. I called DMV with no help and before I go in or go over to CHP I would like to get some info together. Anyone know the laws and what license or endorsement I need....
    Thanks for any help...

Kilrtoy
    here is a start for you
    15260. (a) Any applicant for a commercial driver's license who does not successfully complete the air-brake component of the knowledge test, or who does not successfully complete the driving-skill test in a vehicle or combination of vehicles equipped with air brakes, shall, if otherwise qualified, receive a commercial driver's license that restricts the licenseholder from operating a commercial motor vehicle equipped with air brakes.
    (b) To remove the restriction described in subdivision (a) from a commercial driver's license, the driver is required to make a new application for a commercial driver's license, and, in addition to any other requirements specified in this code, to successfully complete the air-brake component of the knowledge test prescribed by the department, and to pass the driver-skill test in a vehicle or combination of vehicles equipped with air brakes.
    (c) For the purposes of the driving-skill test and the restriction described in this section, air brakes shall include any braking system operating fully or partially on the air-brake principle.
    Added Ch. 1509, Stats. 1988. Effective January 1, 1989.

79 HUSTLER
    here is a start for you
    15260. (a) Any applicant for a commercial driver's license who does not successfully complete the air-brake component of the knowledge test, or who does not successfully complete the driving-skill test in a vehicle or combination of vehicles equipped with air brakes, shall, if otherwise qualified, receive a commercial driver's license that restricts the licenseholder from operating a commercial motor vehicle equipped with air brakes.
    (b) To remove the restriction described in subdivision (a) from a commercial driver's license, the driver is required to make a new application for a commercial driver's license, and, in addition to any other requirements specified in this code, to successfully complete the air-brake component of the knowledge test prescribed by the department, and to pass the driver-skill test in a vehicle or combination of vehicles equipped with air brakes.
    (c) For the purposes of the driving-skill test and the restriction described in this section, air brakes shall include any braking system operating fully or partially on the air-brake principle.
    Added Ch. 1509, Stats. 1988. Effective January 1, 1989.
    If I read that correctly it is talking about taking/getting a comercial license and not passing/completing the air brake test. But not about requirements for air brakes. Thanks for the info as it is a start.

79 HUSTLER
    How about if he's senile, 97 years old, blind in both eyes, cripple, but has 10 mil in the bank and just bought his 1.5 mil 3 axle, bus motorhome, then what license does he need?:sqeyes:
    Rio
    Those bastards are lucky and don't need shit.... Should have just bought one of those instead....

79 HUSTLER
    Hey Kilr, he didn't specify COMMERCIAL. SO, if he's not using it for hire would he need the endorsement ?->probably so if the truck is running a commercial plate.(also a med card). BUT if the truck is registered as a private vehicle as a motor home would he still need an endorsement?:idea:
    :
    Rio
    It is a commercial veh. (like my f-250) but is used for personal/private use. It is not for Hire. What type of plates would a commercial use veh. have.

Kilrtoy
    Rio this is a god one, and I really dont have the answer , I cant find a good one...
    What is this vehicle used for? as it may be exempt

79 HUSTLER
    What is this vehicle used for? as it may be exempt
    Just as a personal truck, driving/towing. Thanks for anything you can find..

DMOORE
    How about if he's senile, 97 years old, blind in both eyes, cripple, but has 10 mil in the bank and just bought his 1.5 mil 3 axle, bus motorhome, then what license does he need?:sqeyes:
    Rio
    If it is 40ft or less, a standard class C is required. If it is 40-45FT a class B is required.
    Do I win?
    Darrell.

79 HUSTLER
    The truck is almost done and a LE (very young) drove by my house one day and was talking about it and the class A requirements. My insurance never asked about my licensing (class A or C) the dealership never said a word, so I thought I was okay.
    Another thing, I was talking to a tow truck driver who had the same truck (f650) and asked him if he had a class A to drive it, he said that no one asked him if he had a class A when he was hired, so he figured it was not needed???

79 HUSTLER
    If it is 40ft or less, a standard class C is required. If it is 40-45FT a class B is required.
    Do I win?
    Darrell.
    Ding ding ding, unless they go over weight... :idea:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast