Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you get your service done at the dealer?

Trailer Park Casanova
    We had some super hassles with our local GMC dealer with a simple oil change,, so now I do it myself.
    I use the K&N oil filters only because they have the cool 1" socket fitting on the end of the filter,,, and on the 8.1 GMC that is a BFD.
    Removing the oil filter on the 8.1 4x4 is a hassle otherwise.
    Right before I met my wife, I was dating this awesome looking, but not-a-straight-thought-in-her mellon chick that had a Lexus.
    She had all her service done at Lexus in Thousand Oaks, and the dealer stripped,, that is ,,, cross threaded her oil drain plug.
    They refused to make good on it,, and armed with a paper trail,, we hit the Small Claims court.
    The dealer show'd up to fight it and lost.
    Anyway,,, the new Toyota products have a cool threaded insert/or a small sub pan,, so if the drain plug gets cross threaded,, ya can replace the threaded insert and drainplug or the cool sub pan in a few minutes.
    We get the S2000 service'd at the Honda dealer because the service writer owns a local bar that we go to,, he comp's most our maint.
    Do you get your service done at the dealer?
    Why or why not?

Zaairman
    Hell no. Costs too much. I only take it there when necessary. So far, it's only been for the blend door replacement ($30 part, $500 worth of labor), get new keys made (only came with one), and for the cruise control recall to be fixed. Also, I enjoy working on my truck, mainly cause it never breaks, and I enjoy the learning experience.

squirt'nmyload
    we get our service done at the gmc dealer, most of the work is warranty.......i don't mind going there for oil changes cause it gives me a chance to kick tires on new models, and our service advisor is a good guy so i like to give them my business.

ChumpChange
    With the Accord and Silverado, I handle all the maintenance myself.
    With the Porsche, won't touch the thing and it would probably go to the dealer although nothing has needed maintenance.

Jbb
    Brown services himself........................

rrrr
    Anyway,,, the new Toyota products have a cool threaded insert,, so if the drain plug gets cross threaded,, ya can replace the threaded insert and drainplug.
    What happens if they cross thread the insert?
    A few years ago my wife took her Accord in to the dealer for periodic maint. and had the oil changed. A couple of days later I walked through the garage while she was gone, saw oil spots on the floor.
    Hondas don't leak......soon as she got home I checked the plug, it was three or four turns loose. Of course you know if it had come out the dealer would have fought tooth and nail trying to avoid responsibility......

Big Warlock
    You can't beat Jiffy Lube and the other "quick oil" change places. I don't think you can do it yourself for what they charge?

Riverless
    As a woman I always go to my Honda dealer for oil changes, trans fluid changes, basic stuff. I have been so happy with their service. The service dept customer service is top notch. Very polite, never have to wait very long and they are happy to give me a ride to work. They even serve cookies and coffee. Yes, sometimes they try to sell me service packages, but my bf has taught me that I don't need half that stuff done to the car, so I just ask for the essential stuff and he takes care of the rest as stuff comes up. Like brake replacement, windshield wiper replacements, spark plugs, that kind of stuff. I am lucky that he is able to do that stuff for me, otherwise I might end up spending a lot more money.

HocusPocus
    i have had my truck serviced every 3000 miles at the dealer i bought it from. oil changes are free and they normally get me out the door in 30-45 minutes.

mrs.rvrluvr
    get the caddy serviced at the dealer(free part of the purchase deal ) but hubby services his own truck.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast