Thread: casale v-drive

kgeeeee
    can anyone tell me that if a casale v-drive has a whirlaway prop release how hard would it be to put a reverse in instead of the whirlaway prop release? I'm from Wisconsin. I would like to know if there would be a casale v-drive dealer or person who works on casale v-drives in Wis.

superdave013
    I would not recommend that you take out the whirlaway. That is a safty item that is a must in my book. If your ever cooking across the lake and engine shuts off or locks up you will flip your boat with out one. V-drives are pretty easy to work on. If you ever need to change gears or need any info let me know. I also make a bearing puller that makes getting the case apart a snap. My e-mail is valveautomation1@earthlink.net.
    Here is another link for you to check out.
    http://vdrives.hypermart.net/msgboard/wwwboard.html

ponponracing
    If you use taper bearings, you won't need a bearing puller to take the cover apart.

superdave013
    I agree about the tapered bearings. But I work on a lot of v-drives and most of the time they do not have tappered bearings when I get them. So you can use a puller or pry the top one out with a screwdriver. Oh, before you go with that screwdriver you might want to check the price of a new set of cases.

ponponracing
    I agree with you Superdave. Taper bearings is an option in V-Drives, and it shouldn't. I can't see any advantage of using straight bearings compared to taper ones. I'am right?
    Up to now, I did own 6 flatbottom race boats, and they were all with taper bearings.
    Luckyly. Because I saw couple of racers change gears between two heats with straight bearings V-drive, and it was time consuming.
    You had a look at that Menkens V-Drive?