Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Employer is P***ing me Off!

DelawareDave
    I guess I work for a very presumptuous employer. When I came to work here, I brought my own computer program to do my job. The employer has provided a computer, printer, ink, etc, as required. My program is very expensive, to the tune of $40K, for one user, plus an annual renewal of $3K. They do not pay for the renewal. Now, the company is purchasing automated equipment, to the tune of $500K, which my program can generate CNC files to program the machines. Now, I find out they are looking for another person that is capable of using my software. My wife saw the classified ad, and called me to ask if I was quitting, or getting canned.
    They should be aware that if I was to leave, they would have to purchase their own copy, which they wouldn't be real happy about.
    I know they don't plan on buying a copy for a new employee to use either. It's like they assume I am willing to set this new person up with my software, at no cost to them. I feel like I am being taken advantage of, and it is really irritating me. If someone was to get hired at the local car dealer, and had no tools, how long would all the rest of the techs be willing to loan the new guy their tools, if at all? I just find this really grating to me. And of course, they would have to pay someone experienced, around the same wage I am getting, as well, but with no investment on their part. And- to top it off, the general prevailing wage, for an experienced person, with the software supplied by the employer, is more than what I am getting paid.
    I just think they are overstepping their boundaries, and need to vent.

robk
    I've felt the same way more than once... but you never know, maybe they're wanting to train someone to do your job so you they can promote you? Regardless, these situations never sit well. I hate sitting in the dark wondering what the hell is *really* going on, even if it turns out to be something positive.

wsuwrhr
    Just curious, Why would you bring a $40K program into a job if you aren't compensated for, especially paying the maintenance fees and such?
    What does your program do BTW?
    Brian

Liberator TJ1984
    Take it with you by all means if that's the Chicken Sh*t manner they are pulling on you
    oh yea ....are you spending Too Much time on ***boat instead of working ?

Jim W
    And- to top it off, the general prevailing wage, for an experienced person, with the software supplied by the employer, is more than what I am getting paid.
    Keep reading this sentence over and over untill it sinks in......
    Be good, Jim

wsuwrhr
    Take it with you by all means if that's the Chicken Sh*t manner they are pulling on you
    Exactly. Are they able to use the program when you are gone? Is it installed on THEIR computer.
    You may have inadvertanly GAVE them the program by installing it on their computer, making it an asset of the company.
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    And- to top it off, the general prevailing wage, for an experienced person, with the software supplied by the employer, is more than what I am getting paid.
    Keep reading this sentence over and over untill it sinks in......
    Be good, Jim
    Yep.

OKIE-JET
    Your 40K program is yours, its proprietary it sounds. If they are lookin for someone to work WITH you, he/she should either bring their own prog. or the company should supply that person his/her own. Maybe you could work somethin out with them to purchase half interest in your personal program...just a thought.

Pussywhippled
    Hard facts...
    Face it your just a number and can be easily replaced.
    They were in business before you were there and they will be in business after you leave.
    It's always like one employee who thinks the company will fail if they are gone.
    I'm sure your $40k computer program is no big deal to them if they are spending $500k on a piece of equipment, it's like a tip at that point.
    Most business owners are lucky to get where they got, and most of the time it's not by hard work...

OKIE-JET
    It would also bring to light the issue of maint fees.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast