Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optima Batteries

Quality Time
    Was reading a thread on another board about them and it seems as if they are not all that in some peoples opinion. Anyone have any issues with the blue tops and what are the alternatives for a smaller/lighter battery for the boat.

OKIE-JET
    I use red-tops, they crank it hard enough. They have also seemed to overlook weak or compromised elec systems better than most, for me anyway.

Blue tops have been great for me..

Havasu Hangin'
    Optimas cannot get hot, or they vent, and are useless after that. Most people kill them by using a car charger on a high setting, they boil...then they are done, since you can't get the water back in.

wsuwrhr
    I use red yellow and blue. Great batteries.
    One thing I hate about optimas, is if you short them out, even for a second, just go buy another, because if it didn't fail right then, it will later on.
    Don't ask me how I know.
    Brian

Yep they suck I have not bought a battery in ten years:jawdrop: my optima is still kicking

Quality Time
    Thanks for the replys. I've checked and my on-board charger will support the Optimas.

Beer-30
    I just snagged two red-tops. One for my '56 Chev and one for my '60 Impala. I have one in the dually, one in my wifes '04 Yukon, and two blue-tops in the boat. The dually just got it's second one. First one went 6 years. Try that with a standard Delco.
    Just don't hit them with anything hotter than the alternator would give them. Other than the few jump-starts, which doesn't seem to hurt them. I have a friend that kept cooking them with a 40 amp shop-type rolling charger. If I have one that is low, I use a small 10-amp charger for 6-8 hours.
    The one in my '57 Chevy is marked MAR 2000! Going on it's 7th year! That thing sits for 3 months at a time between starts. I just don't see how you can beat them. One would buy 3-4 normal batteries to one Optima. I don't know that you actually save money, but it sure is nice to only change one battery in 5-7 years as opposed to three or four.

460 jus getn it
    Red top in the truck, yellow in the boat. Never had one problem.

rivercrazy
    I'm on my 6th season with 2 blue tops powering a 2K+ stereo. They are still chuging along as if they were brand new.
    The key with Optimas, as stated by others here, is charging. They don't mind being discharged. But charging with the right amount of amps by a good quality automatic charger is the key.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast