Thread: Halibrand V drives: Good or bad; and boat ID....

LCexplorer
    I am looking at a Halibrand V drive for my little 1960 16' Biesmeyer copy (well at least I believe it's Biesmeyer copy). Are the Halibrand units any good? The boat originally came with one and I have found another to replace it with which is in good shape. It's has a 10% overdrive in it and should fit in my boat. Would it also be worthwhile? Would an auto tranny be something to look at as well, since I don't have a gearbox yet,like a powerglide? I also have been trying to find out more about what I believe to be a Biesmeyer copy....

and

If you have any info it would be greatly appreciated!

superdave013
    They are an ok gear box but they are no longer made. At least I don't think they are. So it would be hard to get parts for one. A simple gear ratio change could be a big deal with that box. Maybe Tom at Menkens would have parts for it.
    I think you would be better off with a used Casale myself. I know Tom was some used Casale cases comming his way and could set you right up. Casale gears and parts are easy to come by.
    [ August 12, 2002, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

396_Z
    While I know squat about their V-drives I can tell you Halibrand made their name in sprint car racing with the Halibrand Quick-Change rear end. It's considered to be the best QC rear that was available at the time and has been duplicated for 1/4 and 1/10 scale RC race cars.
    From that I would think that if they totally sucked they would be able to make a good QC rear.

My first flat had a Halibrand, it was an ok box but it was noisy, it whined like it had straight cut gears [it didn't] If you are looking for a gear box to install go for a Casale split case as they are very easy to find gears and parts for. As for the Halibrand the swap meets are your only source for parts, they haven't been made for over 30 years.