Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Marine...this is a new low

Biglue
    I'm talking 1-300-500-1000.
    At five times the price for a piece of raw material, just to machine it down to what you end up with a casting, it doesn't take that many parts to justify it. At least in my opinion.
    But a casting isn't as nice of quality as billet though.
    Polishing, chroming- niether is as easy or looks as good.
    Powercoating wouldn't matter much, I don't think.
    But like anything else, you get what you pay for.
    Brian
    Seems too low a price. BUt then again I haven't built many molds.

Biglue
    They tried that BS in the golf industry, Cleveland called it "Form Forged". It was initially cast at about 110% oversize and then forged to it's final shape. Didn't go over to well when the purists found out their "forgings" weren't really forged.
    Some people call pressure molded castings forged also. It's getting to be a somewhat loose term.

wsuwrhr
    They tried that BS in the golf industry, Cleveland called it "Form Forged". It was initially cast at about 110% oversize and then forged to it's final shape. Didn't go over to well when the purists found out their "forgings" weren't really forged.
    You would be surprised as to how many "billet" parts bought that are really cast and not billet at all.
    Kind of a "play" on words.
    Brian

RiverDave
    Seems too low a price. BUt then again I haven't built many molds.
    Well not to get into this too heavy, becuase it's not actually the way anyones doing it.. But there's some exceptionally cheap ways to get into investment casting.. For example..
    You can take an original "pattern" (doesn't even have to be made out of metal) and cast an RTV (rubber tool) around it. Let it setup over night, the next day cut it in half (some little odds and ends I'm leaving out, but overall this is the jest of it). Pull your original pattern out, and now you have a cavity. Pour in Wax, send it to a foundry, and for something about the size of a speaker cover (6.5) it really shouldn't cost more then 15 - 18 bucks) per unit to cast..
    Now on the flip side, if you go with the stamping route, you invest a little more up front and you get your stamping prices down to about the same price (actually in runs of over a 100 I'd bet they'd go down to the neighborhood of 10 bucks per blank) with alot less hassle, and alot nicer quality (from the stand point of smooth surfaces etc.. for a speaker cover). No second operation machining required except to maybe drill some holes, and whatever pattern you want in the front of it.
    RD

wsuwrhr
    10 bucks on who ever skinny is fighting. lol
    That ain't right. haha
    Hey I got "heart"
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    Now on the flip side, if you go with the stamping route, you invest a little more up front and you get your stamping prices down to about the same price (actually in runs of over a 100 I'd bet they'd go down to the neighborhood of 10 bucks per blank) with alot less hassle, and alot nicer quality (from the stand point of smooth surfaces etc.. for a speaker cover). No second operation machining required except to maybe drill some holes, and whatever pattern you want in the front of it.
    RD
    Stamping
    SSSSTTTRRRREEECCCCHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    Brian

Biglue
    Well not to get into this too heavy, becuase it's not actually the way anyones doing it.. But there's some exceptionally cheap ways to get into investment casting.. For example..
    You can take an original "pattern" (doesn't even have to be made out of metal) and cast an RTV (rubber tool) around it. Let it setup over night, the next day cut it in half (some little odds and ends I'm leaving out, but overall this is the jest of it). Pull your original pattern out, and now you have a cavity. Pour in Wax, send it to a foundry, and for something about the size of a speaker cover (6.5) it really shouldn't cost more then 15 - 18 bucks) per unit to cast..
    RD
    Gotcha. The only castings I have worked with are pretty detailed so they are pricey for tooling.

Biglue
    Golf customers that buy forged want forged, not pressure molded cast. They want to play the same clubs as the pros. They want to look good while they suck.
    LOL I hear you.

RiverDave
    You know in retrospect, I came off pretty harsh with regards to Ron's dealio..
    I guess I could've worded that alot better. For that I'm sorry Ron, and I do appologize.
    On the upside of it though, atleast your (I hope you are anyways) rethinking your hinge design, and magnet dealios, and I will in some small way have played a part in the next generation of better stereo covers.
    RD <--- glass is 1/2 full kinda guy.

Froggystyle
    skinny mofos throwing down in a trick billet aluminum CNC'd designed cage........ let the games begin
    damn this is starting to sound like PPV material.
    You said skinny... but RD is one of them.
    If this happens, I will have dig a little deeper into my repertoire and show Brian some stuff to ensure that "Team Trident" comes out on top of this cage fight...
    Froggy"GotyourbackBrian"style