Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Eddie Marine...this is a new low

Outnumbered
    100% sure they did not sell the design.
    As far as the F&M covers, they are not even similar in terms of the overall design/appearance. If you put F&M cover next to a Boat Bling you can tell the difference, easily. The same can not be said for Boat Bling and the Eddie Marine knockoff.
    OK, well, in that case, F uck Eddie

Cole Trickle
    That's the Co. I was talking about...F&M have been making these covers for quite a while. Not sure if F&M or BB came first, but there are others out there besides BB
    I saw the F&M covers at the boat show before I purchased my BB cover and the differences are more than noticable.
    F&M is an exact copy of the standard Merc 496 Plastic cover and honestly looks nothing like Patricks design.(Yes they have tribal flames)
    I understand taking an idea and making it your own but putting something on a table scaing it with a vector arm and cutting it on a water jet is hardly R&D. (In my oppinion Eddie Marine did a blatant rip off of the BB cover)
    I appologize to Shockwave and Eliminator if they did not authorize Eddide to make those covers.

DCBDaytona
    100% sure they did not sell the design.
    As far as the F&M covers, they are not even similar in terms of the overall design/appearance. If you put F&M cover next to a Boat Bling you can tell the difference, easily. The same can not be said for Boat Bling and the Eddie Marine knockoff.
    If this is the case, I sure hope BB Copyrighted all their designs. But it comes down to whomever has the deepest pockets, and in this case I think EM will win the battle.

ViB
    That is why I entered the speaker cover market and and made an exit just as quickly.
    Hey Magic, I would love to learn more about the 'speaker cover' side of things if you ever feel like calling...Stu

DAB
    The only problem with your argument is that the design is exactly the same, right down to the flames. They are an exact match. Are you guys sure that Roln20s didn't sell his design to Eddie? It seems to be an EXACT match. I am no fan of Eddie (don't get me started) but that is just too similar not to be an exact copy.
    Good point.. maybe Patrick has inked a deal with EM to sell covers under their own "brand", if so great business decision. If not, big problem.. As far as Eliminator or Shockwave knowingly allowing this, if any one of us called any of the EM's, Dana, etc..etc.. if they've done any work for the boat mfgr's they probably have legal use of their name on products.. hell I recently put on a new switch panel and had the Shockwave logo put on, no questions asked..

OGShocker
    Never know.....Not trying to defend anyone, but did EM have SW's or Eliminators permission to use their name ? I don't know. I do know the BB has SW permission, because I was there the day Patrick negotiated it with BD and Bob. In fact, I ordered mine that same day and have the first SW one (other than the demo). I totally back BB on this. BTW, I just called EM and they said they could engrave "most all" builders on their covers ($350). Again, don't know if it's w/ permission or not. Just my 02.
    Thank's for the information, Slink! Now get back out on patrol...

Totally IncapASSitated
    This is the problem. Even if BB has a patent pending, etc, they don't have the financial backing of Eddie Marine. EM will just hold it up in court until BB backs off from the bills. Many small companies go under from this on a daily basis.
    That was exactly my point. I'm well aware of how many companies fall victim to circumstances such asthese and it is unfortunate...ethics go out the door in a hurry when the chance for an easy $$$ presents itself.

BadKachina
    You have a Kachina and dance to the YMCA. What do you know???
    Too bad you guys don't work on outboards...
    I really don't know much about anything, but I can drink beer and BS with the best of them. It looks like you broke the mixer off one of those egg beaters, what's the story on that and what are you doing to fix it?

superdave013
    what's new here?
    Little Mike @ MLJ is the #1 most knocked off guy in the boat hardware industry.
    Why do you think I stopped posting pics of the parts I make? I got tired of seeing others knocking them off is why.

bigkatboat
    Thanks DAVE! Most boat part 'designers' just make "small changes", and call it "MY OWN DESIGN", but we all know where the IDEA came from. Mike's fuel/ water valve has been a "real money maker" for lots of shops, but nobody (at this time in history) can say "I am the first" to make this part. You and I don't know guys back east (that do this stuff), nor do we know guys in Europe or China. I could say that any cavitation control that mounts to the stringer and has 'slots' to hold it's adjustments is a "rip off" of our stuff. Why bother? That type of control is "form follows function" and anyone with a brain can see it. Mike makes one VERY similar to ours and it is very nice. To attack Eddie Borges because he 'has it together' is counter productive, making boating SAFER AND AFFORDABLE. should be the most important goal. Did "the original guys" talk to 'Eddie' and make a deal to sell him parts? Why not? He has a point of sale in place, and they don't. Did Eddie talk to a guy that "gave him the idea"? I don't know, but purchase the part that works best for you. I'll be talking to a number of 'retail machines' like Eddie Marine when it comes time to market my surface drive. Am I the first, don't think so. Am I going to bring something new, maybe? Am I going to protect my "ideas"? YOU BET!

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast