Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bilge Pump Question

BGMAN203
    I am going to put a bilge pump in my Hondo for this year. After some consideration I have come up with this small problem. I plan on having a seperate exit hole in the transom for the bilge water to exit the boat. But being freeboard challenged from time to time I know that the bilge exit hole will dip into the water while anchored. What can I do to stop the water from going into the hole, in the tube, then in the pump and back in the bottom of the boat?

Thunderbutt
    You could put in some kind of check valve in the line from the pump to the outlet. Can you move it to the side of the boat where it is out of the water?

BGMAN203
    I could but i would have to put the hole way up the side near my seat. Its a flattie we are talking about. Plus I would have to run hose all that way....just seems like a pain in the ass to do it like that. I thought about the check valve thing but I am worried that the pump doesn't have enough pressure to open the check valve.

Fun One
    BGMAN203:
    I could but i would have to put the hole way up the side near my seat. Its a flattie we are talking about. Plus I would have to run hose all that way....just seems like a pain in the ass to do it like that. I thought about the check valve thing but I am worried that the pump doesn't have enough pressure to open the check valve. If you are woried about the pump not being strong enough you need to buy a Jabsco pump and run a line to a solid pick up fixed to the bottom of the hull. I have one in my boat and plan on putting one in my new ride also. Cost around $200.00 for everything. My two cents.

Run the hose up as high as possible where it takes off from you thru-hull water dump...right up inside the "top" of the transom area. Anchor the hose some way up there. Perhaps the wire ties with the adhesive pad would work here since bolts or screws aren't much of an option. That way the water has to go over the hump to get in. Almost as high as if it were pouring over the transom.

superdave013
    Rexone:
    Run the hose up as high as possible where it takes off from you thru-hull water dump...right up inside the "top" of the transom area. Anchor the hose some way up there. Perhaps the wire ties with the adhesive pad would work here since bolts or screws aren't much of an option. That way the water has to go over the hump to get in. Almost as high as if it were pouring over the transom. That's how I did it. And I used a Rule 500 automatic. They don't have floats but cycle on and off. If they sense a load (water) they stay on. If not they shut off. Work really good too.

BGMAN203
    Thanks Mike, thats a good idea, I think I am going to try that.
    P.S. I got to come and get some "stuff" from you guys in a few days, see ya then.

shirkey4750
    Go to Lowes, Homedepot, and get a float check valve. It is approx. two inches in Dia. three in. long. It has a small ball in it that shuts off the bottom hole when mounted vertical. When the pump kicks on it shoves the ball up and the water exits through the top of the valve out out the transom. Had one on a jet boat I once owned, it worked perfect. Cost less than $10.00. It can be bought with 1/2 or 3/4 inlets and outlets and is made out of plastic, so it is very light but sturdy.

Snowboat
    I tried a plastic check valve and ran the hose out of the dump on the port rear. The rough ride caused the spring and ball to move around and jam up. You could unplug the mess and start over but wouldn't stay fixed. This valve came from West Marine. In order to make the spring soft enough for the weak pump to overcome spring pressure, I had to shorten the spring. I'm going to run another hose up to the overboard dump by the driver.

BGMAN203
    HMMM. Now I have all these ideas, and I don't know what to do. Shireky....did you ever have a problem whith the check ball getting jammed from rough rides?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast