Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana scissor hinges on a Magic Deck??

OutCole'd
    Has this been done? What would it cost & take to get it done?

Dana Marine Products
    We have never sold Power Hinges directly to Magic, and I don't personally know of an installation that has been done. If you could get me a picture of the hatch in the open position (mainly the inside gunnel sections) I could tell you if it would work or not. (without making modifications)

TrojanDan
    I would love to get Dana Hinges on my Magic (29 Wizard). I currently have the Bennet twin hydraulic rams and they are the slowest lifters I have ever seen. My hatch includes the backrest of the rear bench seat and Magic had once told me that the hatch was too heavy for the Dana's. Is that true?

Dana Marine Products
    We have a couple of options. It is possible your hatch is too heavy for the standard Power Hinges. Option #1 - We can pump the pressure of the pump up by roughly 500 lbs and go to a full braided line setup. That will increase the load capacity. I've had applications that even after that is done, the hatch is so heavy, it literally starts bending the billet parts. The hydraulics on this unit are not the weak link in the chain. I have ran our Power Hinges on many twins with no problems. It really boils down to just how heavy your hatch is. Option #2 We do have a new Power Hinge II on the boards for production relatively soon. This will be a Moster Power Hinge capable of lifting just about any hatch. This hinge is being specifically designed for big offshore twins and triples that have heavy fiberglass hatches.

TrojanDan
    Thanks for the quick response. When do you figure those Dana II hinges are going to come out? I think that's my safe bet.

Dana Marine Products
    Drawings have already been done. The initial plan is that it will actually function slightly different then the original Power Hinges. We're aiming to have the new units ready this year. I'm hoping to have them done in the next 6-8 months. It could be sooner. I'll keep everyone informed.

TrojanDan
    Cool, thanks. A mouse on a tread mill can open my hatch quicker than my Bennett's.
    Having the Power Hinge II's tie into my existing trim tab pump would be a bonus too.

OutCole'd
    I'm going to try to find out how heavy the lid is on my boat & get back to you. This would be a very nice set up if we can make it happen.

Huckleberry
    Drawings have already been done. The initial plan is that it will actually function slightly different then the original Power Hinges. We're aiming to have the new units ready this year. I'm hoping to have them done in the next 6-8 months. It could be sooner. I'll keep everyone informed.
    If you're looking for a boat to install a test set on, I'll volunteer my 33 Daytona. It has a heavy as hell hatch!

Not So Fast
    We just took my hatch off for the install of my new to me motor and i will testify that the Magic hatch is no light weight by a long shot. Especially when you try to hold it while in the up position and remove a few nuts and bolts. It took 4 peoples, two can carry it but it is heavy, I'm gonna guess 150 hundred lbs. and awkward NSF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast