Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Info. and history of AQUACRAFT

Kindsvater Flat
    I have looked and looked for a nice one to get a hold of. No luck so far. They were a turning sumbitch. I had a guy send me photos of what he thought was one of Skips first race boats. It was a 1963 17 footer. It was all set up as a circle burner / ski racer. He has had it for many years and in fact when he bought it it was powered by a Holman and Moody 406 Ford. He had since blew that up and it had a potent 390 in it. (Didnt know you could build a potent 390). Anyway, It was a cool boat and had a lot of cool things about it. I have since lost the pictures. K flat..theres a real good chance, considering where you live, that maybe my Dad rigged the boat of your buddies...pictures would be coooooool.
    I called him tonight and its at his brothers house. Oh and its for sale also. He is going to dig it out and call me to come over for the pics. This is all I have. Its in front of mine.
    http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery...s/10001/54.jpg

CircleJerk
    Fred Wickens, shortly before his death at 91 years old and still building models for future full scale projects.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...redwickens.jpg
    I can share a bit on Fred and it comes from his neighbor in charge of his estate....Seems Fred made a deal with him that if he would take care of him on his bad days so he didnt have to go to a retirement home, he would give him all he owned! This was in Independence Oregon where you could taxi your airplane right to your house. Freds house had only boats stuffed inside his attached hangar!
    Also parked beside his craft was a v8 Jag! It sported a 383 Lingenfelter chevy and a dash mounted TV. The story goes that Fred loved to watch Jeopardy and after being pulled over by the Oregon State Police, the officer could not get Fred to roll his window down. After several bangs with his flash light he powered it down but still didnt acknowledge his presense. Finaly, the show broke for a commercial and Fred asked him what he wanted. Sir, you were doing 92 back there can I see your license? So, Fred explained that it was very hard to see the speedometer and view the show at the same time. So if he was giving him a ticket, to hurry up before the TV ad was through! He could NOT miss his show! I believe Fred was in his 80's at the time!
    Fred was a favorite with the antique airplane buffs. He could pound out almost any cowling or rare metal part they needed. His last hydro and hiss first 1965 race flatbottom are here in Spokane gathering dust!

kryptonite
    Hey RCL, where in the bay area are u from? i think my step dad drove a aquacraft when he pulled ski racers in the early 70s before he started to drive endurance classes. i will see if my mom still has pictures. if u went to the races at clear lake im sure you have had to pass each other.

Kindsvater Flat
    Speaking of Wickens. I forgot that the kid at the lumber yard has one. Real short boat with a small block chevy in it. I will ask him if he has any pictures of it also.

WVspeedfreak
    Can someone please answer my questions a few posts up??? Thanks a million

Rattle Can Lou
    I will answer your questions tomorrow when I am on my computer. This si the home one and I dont like typing on it....

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Can someone please answer my questions a few posts up??? Thanks a million
    Aquacrafts were very successful circle and marathon race boats back in the 60's (from about 65 up) through the very early 70's. They were very well documented and there were several different types of hulls made.
    1 problem with these old boats (runabouts) is many are given wrongful paperwork by their owners for a variety of reasons. Obviously they aren't easily identifiable like cars. The only way to absolutely verify year is with a stamped Hull Identification number (HIN).
    If there is a hull ID number it will be stamped in the transom. Its very possible you don't have one though. The law to mandate stamped HIN's came in 72, if your boat was built before that its likely it never received the stamp. It could also have been sanded off or painted over.
    A kill switch connected to the driver is allways a good idea. Adding a whirlaway is a great idea but that and the addition of the dogs needed for in n out use should be left to a pro. Send it to Tom Bentley (Menkins V-drives) JJ Beaver (Beaverfab) or Casale to get that done.
    Nice boat and be careful...
    --Jerry

charitycase
    I have looked and looked for a nice one to get a hold of. No luck so far. They were a turning sumbitch. I had a guy send me photos of what he thought was one of Skips first race boats. It was a 1963 17 footer. It was all set up as a circle burner / ski racer. He has had it for many years and in fact when he bought it it was powered by a Holman and Moody 406 Ford. He had since blew that up and it had a potent 390 in it. (Didnt know you could build a potent 390). Anyway, It was a cool boat and had a lot of cool things about it. I have since lost the pictures. K flat..theres a real good chance, considering where you live, that maybe my Dad rigged the boat of your buddies...pictures would be coooooool.
    I still have my Aquacraft.Come & get it.BTW,nothing on any old sprint cars around here.Talk to ya later.
    Casey

lucky
    :devil: I still have my Aquacraft.Come & get it.BTW,nothing on any old sprint cars around here.Talk to ya later.
    Casey
    hold out for the Cheap focker , i'm on my way

Rattle Can Lou
    I already got one like yours...only it's a wood deck. The
    17' Aqua Craft is the one I would want. K Flat is checking on one. No word on old sprinters huh? That guy still calls and asks me if I have heard anything on the car....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast