Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man or Elec fuel pump

kmcousins
    I wanted to know what would be better to run on a stock 455 olds. with a single edlebrock carb. Electric or manual? Need hel:idea :idea: Thanks

widowmaker
    Imo, I would run a mechanical pump with a stock olds. They rarely fail and no wiring to worry about.
    On the other hand depending on your fuel line set up it might be easier to mount the electric pump behind the motor.
    I have had great luck with holley red pumps for most things under 500 hp. No regulator required with a holley carb.

SmokinLowriderSS
    If you don't want to screw with it for something like 20 years, go mechanical and forget about it.
    If you want to add wire, add fuel line, add relays, depending on the pump add a regulator and return line (and have a fitting welded into your tank(s)), then by all means go electric.

OverKill
    I say go electric. If done right it is a safer set up the mechanical. Mine is set up if I dont have and oil pressure the fuel pump will not work.

DelawareDave
    Biggest issue I see is finding the correct mechanical fuel pump. It's almost impossible to find a marine pump, and just about all of the stock ones I have seen, have a third outlet that has to be capped off, or you get a major fuel leak.
    Overkill has it done correctly with an electric pump. No oil pressure, no fuel.

Devilman
    I wanted to know what would be better to run on a stock 455 olds. with a single edlebrock carb. Electric or manual? Need hel:idea :idea: Thanks
    Mechanical pump will work fine for that set-up. Electric pumps are ok, if they are installed correctly. Mine has an electric Holley "blue" pump & it has been fine for the 3 years I've had the boat, but thinking I may go mechanical in the future....

Tyler&Emily
    I have a BBF and just installed a Mr. Gasket Electric Fuel Pump 4 to 7 PSI, I am running two 450 CFM Hollys on a tunnel ram, I was told that I would not need a fuel pressure regulator or relay, just want to head in the right direction,
    Chet

kmcousins
    Thanks for all the help guys now I just have to see what my wife will let me buy

Wicked Performance Boats
    I say go electric. If done right it is a safer set up the mechanical. Mine is set up if I dont have and oil pressure the fuel pump will not work.
    I'd rather have no oil pressure and stop controlled. than lose oil pressure and have the motor quit when it was in a bad situation. Remember jetboats don't steer except when running.

BLOWN JOB
    I wouldn't think twice manual fuel pump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast