Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Volvo SX Drive and 450HP?

Halvecta
    I love the old style AQ systems much better.... but that is another story.
    You mentioned this briefly. I have the AQ 290 drive on a mild 454, but would like to bump the HP with some modifications running 60-62 mph. I would like to be at 70 mph. I have read and heard that once you get to approx. 70+ mph, external steering is recommended. I realize it is not a "race" drive by any stretch. Here are some questions for anyone who may know. But...
    Can the 290 handle the HP to run 70 mph (21 ft. Hallett)? I am guessing approx. 475-500 HP. We have taken great care of the drive, and it works perfect now.
    What are the options for external steering on this drive?

Ricardo Marine
    Yes, the 290 will certainly more than handle that HP.
    The thing you'll want to concern yourself will be replacing the Primary Drive Shaft bearings/seals in your Flywheel Cover if you have not done so previously. Don't wait for them to fail.
    The steering issue can be address with the addition of the external hydraulic system much like for Mercruiser drives. Some adaptation will be required unless you can find a company that does kits for Volvo Penta. I'll bet they exist. The world ran w/ M/C on this High Performance stuff so there is much more offered for them.
    Note: the upper unit "drive gear" bearings take the hardest load. If/when you pull this down for U joints, check and/or change/adjust the preload on these bearings as to have the correct rolling torque on them.
    You can also add the Duo Prop (1.78:1 for your engine) to the Volvo Penta drive.... actually to any of them, unlike M/C.

Halvecta
    Thanks Ricardo
    I will look into the options for external steering.
    I have always thought the duo-prop will lose some top end. What are your thoughts?

Ricardo Marine
    I have a small V/P repair biz... and I work mainly on cruiser type boats... not go fast boats. The DP addition is incredible regarding performance on this type of boat. The DP does out performs the BIII on cruisers, but on go fast boats, I think the M/C out performs in this area.
    I Can't honestly say what the DP advantage will be at greater speeds as what you guys are doing here.
    It will be a definite improvement at up to 30/40/50 MPH.
    Rick

Halvecta
    Rick,
    We have dialed in a 4 blade prop that gets us out of the hole very well. In fact my engine builds torque very quickly, but it is the top end that we suffer. I am considering new aluminum heads to see if we can pick up some HP above 4000 RPM to get us closer to 65-68. There is plenty of HP at the low end, and with the 4 blade, we are on plane very quickly. I usually run a tall 3 blade for top end, but it still leaves us short of where I would like to be. We occasionally run in"stock" class for ski racing, and the max mph allowed is 70. So you can imagine, everyone in that class is dialed in for WOT as close to >70 mph as possible.

DMOORE
    Rick,
    We have dialed in a 4 blade prop that gets us out of the whole very well. In fact my engine builds torque very quickly, but it is the top end that we suffer. I am considering new aluminum heads to see if we can pick up some HP above 4000 RPM to get us closer to 65-68. There is plenty of HP at the low end, and with the 4 blade, we are on plane very quickly. I usually run a tall 3 blade for top end, but it still leaves us short of where I would like to be. We occasionally run in"stock" class for ski racing, and the max mph allowed is 70. So you can imagine, everyone in that class is dialed in for WOT as close to >70 mph as possible.
    Does a Bravo 1 prop work for your drive? They do well getting on plane and can be labbed to get you both rpm and good speed on top end.
    Darrell.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123