Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats the deal on these heads??????

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Something looks fishy here!!! I know some of you guys can find issues on these heads. They flow alot of cfm in the intake but the exhaust flow looks weak to me.....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BBC-C...17QQitemZ80298 19760QQrdZ1

FILUCKY
    The exhaust numbers are not bad at all but i would never believe those intake numbers, their are very few heads that can flow 400 or more and for sure not a set of heads that don't even have a name brand on 'em. What are they anyways? 400cfm heads can easily support 1000hp and are not cheap. You are getting into Prostock style heads at 400cfm and up. But this is JMO and i'm sure others will disigree. :argue:

LakesOnly
    If I had to guess, I'd guess that those are Procomp cylinder heads. Procomp is a company from down under whose parts originate from Australia, New Zealand and China.
    Judging by the pictures posted in this thread, I'd say that there is absolutely 100% NO WAY that the heads flow those numbers as delivered. What you are buying for the Ebay $685 is a pair of castings with seats and guides that will need to be taken to the machine shop for complete sizing for all the hardware, a throat cutter taken to the bowls and complete porting. What they will flow after all that is anybody's guess, but they can probably be made into mroe cylinder head than you need on your jet boat, 396. Finishing them will just take more money than you expected.
    Again, don't know if that's Procomp stuff, but their stuff does look shiney and new...but you get what you pay for. My customers in Australia RUN from Procomp stuff and instead pay big bucks to buy USA made stuff...they don't even like their own Aussie company product.
    LO

steelcomp
    Lakes pretty much hit the nail on the head...those things are popping up all over the place. You'll spend more to finish them than you'll pay for them. Not a bad deal if you are, or know a good port man. I don't know for sure, but I think they're the old ProTopline head. The molds were bought by someone, I think in Australia, but if they are, the chambers have "issues", and don't work very well. There's no way in God's green earth you'll get 400+cfm out of those, with 320cc's, at .700. I'm not sure you could get that out of those even after porting. I don't think the guys selling these know the difference between a cyl. head and a ham sandwich...poor spelling, (guides need to be "reemed") nonsensical references like giving pushrod reccomendations without cooresponding deck hts, etc. Oh well, at that price, they'll sell a bunch of them.

Infomaniac
    I can get import alum heads dirt cheap also.
    We pressured them for flow numbers and they did not have any. They finally came up with some but I don't think they are genuine. They only came up with numbers for the specific heads we asked about.
    There is ALWAYS some get what you pay for in EVERYTHING.

steelcomp
    I can get import alum heads dirt cheap also.
    You can keep them. :crossx:
    Here's a quote from another site, that puts it in a nutshell.
    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:49 pm
    This may not be a "nice" way to say it...
    The consumer is stupid and does not really want to be "educated".
    We fight a losing battle attempting to explain the necessary work that needs to be done to finish a set of new castings.
    All they want is the lowest out the door quote from which ever mail order source that will promise them a "ready to bolt on" set of heads.
    If it's in print, it must be exactly what it says...
    To be on the side of quality, value added components, you better be prepared to lose a lot of sales to cheaper parts, or waste an unaceptable amount of expensive time preaching quality to deaf ears.
    Well said, and oh, so true. This off shore stuff is going to kill us, and it's only going to get worse.

........ I don't know for sure, but I think they're the old ProTopline head. The molds were bought by someone, I think in Australia, but if they are, the chambers have "issues", and don't work very well. ....
    RHS bought Pro Topline.

Infomaniac
    Yea I havent tried any of those import jobs. I don't build that low quality stuff.
    But my junkyard boys (as they call themsleves) jump all over those.
    The worst part of offshore parts killing us is they buy our country from us with our own money.

steelcomp
    RHS bought Pro Topline.I had heard that, and I also heard that they didn't buy the lousy mold, and that someone else got ahold of it. If I'm not mistaken, (especially after seeing the pic of the chamber on this head) that's what this is.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast