Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive-Shaft Tube???????

DansBlown73Nordic
    Can anyone tell me if it is really necessary to use two pieces of water pipe for a guard? It is very heavy. It came with the Nordic.
    I have been thinking of having my friend who works in a sheet metal shop make me a guard out of stainless steel. I would think stainless is plenty strong.
    I can't see how anything could come out of it.
    Anybody have any ideas.

superdave013
    My boat has s.s. tubes.

stump
    damn dan water pipe?kinda sounds like a hillbilly rig to me .my tube is aluminum they also have telescopic ones made out of stainless.ReX Marine showes them and Glen L marine also

Infomaniac
    stump:
    damn dan water pipe?kinda sounds like a hillbilly rig to meHey now.

stump:
    damn dan water pipe?kinda sounds like a hillbilly rig to me .my tube is aluminum they also have telescopic ones made out of stainless.ReX Marine showes them and Glen L marine also LMAO..sounds like something you'd find on a D8 cat... Dan, SS should be fine as long as it's thick enough to contain an explosion (driveline guards purpose) I'd use no thinner than 1/8" material and would rather see 3/16 for safety. Loose drivelines can really tear you up if not controlled. We do have 2 piece telescopic chrome plated steel assemblies if you need just call.

DansBlown73Nordic
    Im not kidding about the water pipe. This thing is like #30..... eek! I will look into some other deal. wink

FlatRacer
    APBA safety rules specify either 1/8" steel or 1/4" aluminum tubing. Seems a good rule of thumb.

O.B eddie
    Hell water pipe might as well go to the ammo depo and get a spent cartrege!!!

Stab-n-Steer
    Dan,
    World of Outlaw sprint cars run .250 wall 6061 aluminum drive line tubes. These are also "live" tubes not static like in a boat. I've seen many a driveline failure but never have seen the tube not contain it... and these guys are mak'in over 800hp!
    S&S

Infomaniac
    Stab-n-Steer:
    Dan,
    World of Outlaw sprint cars run .250 wall 6061 aluminum drive line tubes. These are also "live" tubes not static like in a boat. I've seen many a driveline failure but never have seen the tube not contain it... and these guys are mak'in over 800hp!
    S&S You are right S&S
    The only U joints in a sprint car driveline is right at the crank. There is a Buckley or that ball type Doo Dad around it.
    Not all v-drives have solid splined drivelines.
    The U joint types are the ones that will really thrash around if they come loose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast