Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plate

Thunderbutt
    Does anyone have a cavitation plate out of polished Stainless instead of Alum. I'm Tired of trying to make it look good.

spectras only
    Jim,it would be cheaper to powder/fusion coat your existing plate ,than replacing with stainless.Stainless would warp if too thin ,so you would have to make it at least 3/8 thickness ,what would make it too heavy.
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited April 12, 2002).]

schiada96
    I made mine out of stainless. 3/8 ? I made mine out of .187. Most of the boats that leave Schiada are 3/16
    [This message has been edited by schiada96 (edited April 12, 2002).]
    [This message has been edited by schiada96 (edited April 12, 2002).]

Thunderbutt
    If I powder coat the plate then what do I do with the other parts? The Stainless looks good and is easy to maintain. Originally posted by spectras only:
    Jim,it would be cheaper to powder/fusion coat your existing plate ,than replacing with stainless.Stainless would warp if too thin ,so you would have to make it at least 3/8 thickness ,what would make it too heavy.

VD CRUISER
    I'm thinking about making plates out of stainless. My friends Schiada has one that is .164 thick, and he doesn't seem to have a problem with. Is there a particular type of stainless that should be used, like 303, 304, or 316 ?

boatguy222
    We used 3/16 stainless Steel on a couple of our boats, The stainless is a little harder to fab, but the results are great!
    Good Luck,
    Marc

SPECTRABRENT
    JIm,
    I would go say stainless is the only way to go.
    Brent

VD CRUISER
    I forgot something. Does anyone know what effect, on speed or handling making the plate longer, would have. Boat is a 21' Howard and the plate extends 10" from the transom now, also has a 3" wide gap between the 2 plates.

spectras only
    I would use 316 SS to keep rust stain in check.If you have lot's of turnbuckles for support 3/16 or 1/4 would suffice.I like to overbuild stuff .It's only me http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif I've built trimtabs of 1/8 and 3/16 without extra webbing and found it warped after a few hard landing. I run in the ocean occasionally,you guys may not http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gifVD cruiser ,10 in is plenty deep .The 21 Howard I've posted had plates that size and performed well.

Thunderbutt
    VD, Good question. If you make the plate wider will it help the ride. And there is a gap in my also,not3" but enough to let water spout through. Is that a drag on the boat? Originally posted by VD CRUISER:
    I forgot something. Does anyone know what effect, on speed or handling making the plate longer, would have. Boat is a 21' Howard and the plate extends 10" from the transom now, also has a 3" wide gap between the 2 plates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast