Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kilo Record

BIGCHRIS
    Guys,not familar with some of the races and other things u have on the west coast.Please explain the kilo record RR2 has me curious :rollside:

MikeF
    LOOOONG straightaway.........leading to a 5/8 of a "FLYING" mile! Not much lifting going on through there.
    That place has REAL HEAVY air leading to major HP for a solid record attempt.
    The hull I have set the Compjet Kilo record there too.

ColeTR2
    yep 5/8 of a mile WFO and the boat is at full speed when it starts the kilo-5/8 of a mile. There is nothing like hearing a K-boat at full song making a kilo run.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Guys,not familar with some of the races and other things u have on the west coast.Please explain the kilo record RR2 has me curious :rollside:
    Like Mike F and C have indicated it is an A.P.B.A. record for Top Speed measured over the length of a kilometer (5/8 of a mile). The record must be from 2 back to back passes. The boats enter and leave the speed trap at full speed so they actually run farther than 5/8's of a mile wide open.

Bobbo541
    That sounds like some fun right there.

MikeF
    APBA is one organization.
    The other is Union International Motorboating.....U.I.M.
    The record that was made w/ my hull was a U.I.M. record. Until John Fox in a Crusader tunnel ran a few mph faster. :yuk:
    It held the record for about 17 years though.

Moneypitt
    A kilo record is set on an approved, measured course, with timers set up to measure boat speed within a "flying" 5/8ths mile, which happens to be a Kilometer. The boats get a flying start into the time traps, usually long enough to be pretty much wound up before the timing starts. They must run 2 directions, and the average speed is calculated, and either fails to break the established record, or exceeds it and sets a new record. In order to set a class kilo record the boat must be legal for the class as it is running.(and teardowns do happen). However, gear and prop changes are allowed for the high speed attempt. Because of the speed factor there are fewer and fewer venues running kilos, so record setting becomes more difficult. Hope this explains what you wanted to know...........MP

BIGCHRIS
    That is some serious HP and handling to do that at 146. So Gordy still holds that record rt,does anyone ever try to beat the record anymore THANX

MikeF
    I have not seen the race rules, but from conversations the boat trying to break a record has to qualify by placing 1st, 2nd or 3rd in two or three races prior to going for the record.

Moneypitt
    Records are made to be broken, but the K class has had some rule changes since then, (capsules), so unless there are some drastic rule changes in the future, the open cockpit record will never be broken. It has stood for a long time.............MP

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast