Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Buck APBA Circle boat racing anyone??????

Norseman
    There's been a lot of talk about the need for an entry level runabout circleboat class. Well Jeff Woonton has put just such a proposal before the APBA board, and has gotten a fairly positive responce. What we need know is to show the APBA Board that there really is an interest and if the create the class, drivers and boats will turn out.
    We got into quite a bit of the details on the proposal on the V-Driveboat.com forum.
    Budget Circle Boat Class Anyone??? (http://www.v-driveboat.com/showthrea...&threadid=2020)
    But if this is going to happen then we need to get Jeff as many letters as possible ASAP!!!!!
    Everyone is complaining about not being able to race V Drive Circleboats, well here's your chance to show APBA and everyone else that Circle boat racing is alive and lots of people are interested in it!!!!
    New APBA Small Block Circleboat Class post #1
    Tim "Canam10" among others has been working behind the scenes trying to get something going as a low cost entry level circle boat class.
    The small block class that we have discussed.
    Jeff Wooton put the proposal before the APBA board this week, and received a favorable responce, but he needs your help to make it happen.
    We need everyone with any interest to write letters to the APBA supporting the new class.
    Here is a copy of the email that was sent to Tim.
    ----- Original Message -----
    To:
    Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 5:19 PM
    Subject: RE: APBA MEETING
    The IRC was and seems to be very open to the idea. I proposed everything as we communicated and it was received well. The motion was made by the IRC to table the decision until I could provide "Letters of intent" from all of those interested in running the class. So, before going back to the IRC, I will need to collect all of the letters from individuals committed to running this class and I will likewise get letters from those I know. The letter needs to be addressed to the APBA IRC c/o Jeff Wooton, Commissioner and can be drafted and e-mailed to me. Once I receive enough letters of intent to "show" the need for the class and/or demand for the class I can once again move the motion back on the floor for a vote. The vote will also stipulate that this is for the 2006 season.
    All in all we were successful. Please get these letters to me ASAP and I will submit them to the IRC through our message board with an outline showing the numbers.
    Stay in touch,
    Jeff
    We have a good chance at making this happen lets not blow it !!!!!!
    Start writing Ladies and Gentleman!!!!!!!
    Bob

mcfrance
    Might be a dumb question, but what's wrong with APBA current circle boat classes, Super Stock and Pro Stock? More boats the better.

Moneypitt
    Might be a dumb question, but what's wrong with APBA current circle boat classes, Super Stock and Pro Stock? More boats the better.
    Mcfrance, money. The SS and PS classes are so expensive to compete in and there are few boats entering these classes from new racers. So, some of the people that want to race for the sake of racing are trying to re open an entry level class that is cheaper to compete in. By limiting the engines and hulls to an agreed upon standard, the race becomes more of a test of drivers skill and boat set up, instead of cubic dollar racing. The SS class was kinda like that in the begining but has advanced to a much higher level of competition. Hopefully, a new class will be formed, and new racers will join in the fun..........MP

Norseman
    Hull specs will be the same as the existing inboard class boats, SS, PS.
    Here are the proposed engine specs.
    Sportsman “E” Engine Specs
    Chevrolet/GM OEM Passenger Car or Truck 350 Block – 4.060 bore allowed with stock 4 bolt main caps.
    • 3.500 Maximum Stoke OEM or Equivalent Crankshaft in all aspects
    • Wet Sump Oil System – Oil Pump of stock type in stock position – Any steel oil pan – NO EXTERNAL OIL PUMPS
    • OEM or Equivalent Connecting Rods in all aspects – 5.700 length center to center
    • Stock type cast or forged flat top pistons with valve relief
    • Any timing chain set – NO GEAR OR BELT DRIVEN DRIVES
    • Any Stock Type bearings, gaskets, rings, oil pump
    • Camshaft shall be flat tappet with solid lifters – Lifters shall be stock diameter (.842). The current approved camshafts are:
    Cam MFG. Part No. Grind No. Lift Int/Exh. Dur@.050 Lobe C/Angle
    ISKY 201549 547 B .547/.555 258/263 106
    CROWER 00356 294FDP .540/.557 260/266 105
    CRANE 111411 F256/3634-25-5 .545/.563 256/264 105
    COMP CAM 12-506-5 288BTL-6 .550/.560 259/262 106
    • Average Minimum Deck: ZERO
    • 10:1 Maximum Compression Ratio
    • Any Starter, Flywheel, Driveshaft Coupler, Timing Chain Cover, Oil Cooler, Plug Wires, Points Type Distributor or HEI Distributor
    • Any OEM Stock Type Design Steel Cylinder Head. The currently approved aftermarket cylinder heads are: DART IRON EAGLE, WORLD PRODUCTS S/R TORQUER and PRO TOP LINE/PRO TORQUER. All cylinder heads shall comply with the following criteria: 23 degree heads, NO PORTING, NO POLISHING, NO BOWL BLENDING, NO PORT MATCHING, No “Race Ready” heads, NO GRINDING
    Maximum Intake Runner Volume: 180cc
    Maximum Intake Valve Size: 2.02
    Maximum Exhaust Valve Size: 1.625
    • Any Steel Pushrod – 5/16 or 3/8 Maximum Diameter
    • Valve Springs, Keepers & Retainers shall be STEEL
    • Roller Rocker Arms permitted – 1.52 Maximum Ratio – Posi-locks allowed – Guide Plated permitted – NO SHAFT TYPE - NO STUD GIRDLES
    • Intake Manifold – Any Dual Plane Manifold – NO OPEN PLENUM MANIFOLDS
    • Maximum 4150 style 650 CFM Holly Carburetor – Current Approved Part No. 4777 or No. 4776 (need to add Cracker Box lingo)
    • Exhaust system – Maximum 2” Primaries – Maximum 3.5” Collector – NO STEPPED HEADERS – COLLECTOR HAS TO BE ONE DIAMETER ONLY
    NO TITANIUM ENGINE PARTS – PERIOD!!!!

Norseman
    The idea behind this was to let everyone drag those old circle boats out of thier backyard and for a reasonable amount of money come out and play on the weekend.
    What do you guys and girls think???????
    Bob'

RaysonKid
    Circlejerk and the gang up here in the Northwest have a program that is fun and works.
    The APBA will just impose to many rules.
    And what started as a good idea, entry level format will get screwed up.
    How about hull age?
    Are they going to let a 60's hull race?

Norseman
    Circlejerk and the gang up here in the Northwest have a program that is fun and works.
    The APBA will just impose to many rules.
    And what started as a good idea, entry level format will get screwed up.
    How about hull age?
    Are they going to let a 60's hull race?
    Running 1960's and up hulls is the idea!!!
    Trying to get those old SS and K boats out of peoples backyards!!!!!
    Hp is limited and boats should run pretty close in speed.
    Idea is to make it a low buck deal!!
    Send in a note to Jeff and say Yes, If APBA screws it up, don't play. But it's worth taking a chance on, IMHO!!!!!

DAVEY B
    Hull specs will be the same as the existing inboard class boats, SS, PS.
    Here are the proposed engine specs.
    Sportsman “E” Engine Specs
    Chevrolet/GM OEM Passenger Car or Truck 350 Block – 4.060 bore allowed with stock 4 bolt main caps.
    • 3.500 Maximum Stoke OEM or Equivalent Crankshaft in all aspects
    • Wet Sump Oil System – Oil Pump of stock type in stock position – Any steel oil pan – NO EXTERNAL OIL PUMPS
    • OEM or Equivalent Connecting Rods in all aspects – 5.700 length center to center
    • Stock type cast or forged flat top pistons with valve relief
    • Any timing chain set – NO GEAR OR BELT DRIVEN DRIVES
    • Any Stock Type bearings, gaskets, rings, oil pump
    • Camshaft shall be flat tappet with solid lifters – Lifters shall be stock diameter (.842). The current approved camshafts are:
    Cam MFG. Part No. Grind No. Lift Int/Exh. Dur@.050 Lobe C/Angle
    ISKY 201549 547 B .547/.555 258/263 106
    CROWER 00356 294FDP .540/.557 260/266 105
    CRANE 111411 F256/3634-25-5 .545/.563 256/264 105
    COMP CAM 12-506-5 288BTL-6 .550/.560 259/262 106
    • Average Minimum Deck: ZERO
    • 10:1 Maximum Compression Ratio
    • Any Starter, Flywheel, Driveshaft Coupler, Timing Chain Cover, Oil Cooler, Plug Wires, Points Type Distributor or HEI Distributor
    • Any OEM Stock Type Design Steel Cylinder Head. The currently approved aftermarket cylinder heads are: DART IRON EAGLE, WORLD PRODUCTS S/R TORQUER and PRO TOP LINE/PRO TORQUER. All cylinder heads shall comply with the following criteria: 23 degree heads, NO PORTING, NO POLISHING, NO BOWL BLENDING, NO PORT MATCHING, No “Race Ready” heads, NO GRINDING
    Maximum Intake Runner Volume: 180cc
    Maximum Intake Valve Size: 2.02
    Maximum Exhaust Valve Size: 1.625
    • Any Steel Pushrod – 5/16 or 3/8 Maximum Diameter
    • Valve Springs, Keepers & Retainers shall be STEEL
    • Roller Rocker Arms permitted – 1.52 Maximum Ratio – Posi-locks allowed – Guide Plated permitted – NO SHAFT TYPE - NO STUD GIRDLES
    • Intake Manifold – Any Dual Plane Manifold – NO OPEN PLENUM MANIFOLDS
    • Maximum 4150 style 650 CFM Holly Carburetor – Current Approved Part No. 4777 or No. 4776 (need to add Cracker Box lingo)
    • Exhaust system – Maximum 2” Primaries – Maximum 3.5” Collector – NO STEPPED HEADERS – COLLECTOR HAS TO BE ONE DIAMETER ONLY
    NO TITANIUM ENGINE PARTS – PERIOD!!!!
    Why not make a spec engine rule. Run a zz4 straight from GM. If you let people build there own you might as well build a SS motor. You can build a SS motor with out spending a fortune and have a competative boat. You can run stock 7/16 rods steel heads our pistons cost 500.00. The expense in SS class to me was props and reworking the bottom every couple of races, also entry fees and travel time. Is there going to be prize money, in SS we usually race for 10,000.00 a weekend and spread it out though the entire field. To be competative in any class it takes alot of time and money.
    Just my .02 :boxed:

V-DRV
    Why hasn't this happened? This would be a great class. I think it would be a better idea to run a GM Performance parts crate 502. Low buck, fast and competetive. Sorry to bring back a old thread, just think its a good idea. I would love to get into the sport, just dont have the bucks for a competetive SS or PS motor.

V-DRV
    They have nostalgia races for that type of boat. I am talking about a lower budget competetive circle boat class. Buy the specified crate motor. Throw it in and let the best driver/tuner win. A crate motor from GM would be less than half the price of a competetive SS motor. And a ZZ502 would push a boat to some exciting speeds that the fans would appreciate. Also I bet most cirlce boats sitting in the garage collecting dust are already set-up for a BBC anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast