Thread: flexplate or flywheel???

cole'd one
    In a jet boat is it better to run a flex plate or a flywheel. I recently purchased a motor that has a flywheel with it. The motor that came out of my boat had a flexplate. Does this make a difference on a jetboat or is the flywheel most likely balanced to the motor??

Jetaholic
    In a jet boat is it better to run a flex plate or a flywheel. I recently purchased a motor that has a flywheel with it. The motor that came out of my boat had a flexplate. Does this make a difference on a jetboat or is the flywheel most likely balanced to the motor??
    Balanced to the motor. The pump could care less.

Wicked Performance Boats
    Put the flexplate back Or you'll have to move the motor forward. The flywheel is thicker and may move the driveshaft too far back. Budlight

cole'd one
    I think I've got enough room with the spline at the pump, anyway, the flexplate went with the motor I sold yesterday. I was told the flywheel was balanced for the motor.

luv2race
    Leave what came with the motor. what ever was on the motor should have been part of the balancing.

steelcomp
    If it's external balance, like most 454's, you should be able to switch between flex or flywheel. I don't see any benefit to a flywheel in a boat except for a big endurance boat or ski boat. River hot rod, recreational, or drag, use a flex plate. If you're making some power and spinning some RPM, get an SFI approved plate. BL is right, though, changing from one to the other may cause other problems, but balance shouldn't be one of them.