Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pressure Sender locations

flat broke
    I wanted to get an idea where everyone is pulling their oil pressure readings from on the block when running a BBC. I have heard that you should pull your reading from the gallery plug on the 1st main cap, but I hardly ever see motors rigged that way. Just curious about the different opinions on this subject.
    It seems like pulling the reading there would show you the end of the line pressure so to speak; whereas pulling the reading from above the filter pad could give a false sense of security.
    Since I'm on the topic, what is the preference on oil cooler plumbing when using the stock filter location? sandwich adapter, or the block fittings?
    Chris

Thunderbutt
    I take mine on the plug right above #1 cylinder, mechanical gauge. I think the farther away from the filter gives you the best reading. 80lb start 60lb run.

flat broke
    I was plumbed in on the second gallery plug from the front (basically under #3) Pressure was good at idle at around 75, but it was fluctuating once I started to accelerate from a cruise. Oil temp was 170 and water temp was about 120. Hardin Marine 10qt Pan, Striegel pump, VR1 50wt, and a big ol' Teague Cooler. The motor has only had the cam broken in and a couple of runs up river. It could have been the electric gauge, but I wasn't sure and thought I'd get ideas on rigging the gauge.
    During this weekends event I noticed several motors built by another West coast builder that were pulling the pressure from the oil filter pad fittings. That had me starting to 2nd guess my location. I was coming up with all kinds of half assed theories as to what was happening to make myself feel better on the drive home Now I have a mechanical plumbed into the filter pad fitting running -3 up to the dash, then the electrical mounted in dash. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to take readings from both ports with each gauge and see if there is something up with the gauge, or if I need to pull the mill for further investigation.
    If the symptoms ring a bell for anyone else feel free to chime in. It sucks waiting 6 months to get a new motor together only to have a problem like this which puts the boat back on the trailer for fear of damaging something.
    Chris

Hotcrusader76
    Here's my 0.02 for what it's worth. I Tee'd off the port so I could run an oil-pressure switch and sender.

HammerDown
    Yea thats where I'm at...but rumor has it, the best place is at one of those oil galley plugs.

HBjet
    Thunderbutt:
    80lb start 60lb run. This always puzzles me! Higher pressure at idle and less on the throttle. My motor makes about 65 at idle and 85 at throttle!
    HBjet

GofastRacer
    flat broke:
    I wanted to get an idea where everyone is pulling their oil pressure readings from on the block when running a BBC. I have heard that you should pull your reading from the gallery plug on the 1st main cap, but I hardly ever see motors rigged that way. Just curious about the different opinions on this subject.
    It seems like pulling the reading there would show you the end of the line pressure so to speak; whereas pulling the reading from above the filter pad could give a false sense of security.
    Since I'm on the topic, what is the preference on oil cooler plumbing when using the stock filter location? sandwich adapter, or the block fittings?
    Chris The most accurate place for oil pressure is after the filter!..
    Oil cooler Dan Olsen, one piece sandwich type, effecient, simple, reliable, minimum plumbing. A bit pricy but with proper maintenance, it lasts a lifetime, I've had mine since the late 70's, still like new!..

flat broke
    GofastRacer:
    flat broke:
    Chris The most accurate place for oil pressure is after the filter!..
    Oil cooler Dan Olsen, one piece sandwich type, effecient, simple, reliable, minimum plumbing. A bit pricy but with proper maintenance, it lasts a lifetime, I've had mine since the late 70's, still like new!.. Go fast,
    Thanks for the info. I picked up and rebuilt an olson, but the core was leaking into the shell when I pressure tested it, so I grabed a big Teague unit as an interim replacement. The idea of the o-rings sealing the shell from the tube stack on the Olson does scare me a little, but they have a solid rep.
    On the oil pressure sender question, when you say after the filter, do you mean above the pad on one of the two 3/4" plugs, or any point after the fittings above the filter pad? If you were refering to the fittings above the filter pad, which fitting is on the out side of the filter on a GenIV?
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Chris
    On the oil

GofastRacer
    flat broke:
    On the oil pressure sender question, when you say after the filter, do you mean above the pad on one of the two 3/4" plugs, or any point after the fittings above the filter pad? If you were refering to the fittings above the filter pad, which fitting is on the out side of the filter on a GenIV?
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Chris
    On the oil [/b][/QUOTE]
    Personally, I like to take it off one of the galley plugs along the side of the block, that way I know for sure what what the pressure is going going through the motor!..Just my .02...

flat broke
    cool,
    So I should be fine then tapped into the plug under #3. I'd like to get to the next one up, but the sender wouldn't clear the front mounting plate. Now that I have a mechanical setup around, I can probably squeeze that in there.
    Thanks for the input,
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast