Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mussles are now throughout the river system

DILLIGAF
    No surprise here:
    Mussels Found Throughout
    Lower Colorado River
    TRI-STATE - Fears have been realized that discovery of quagga mussels at Lake Mead in early January presented the possibility that theyÂ’ve already scattered through the lower Colorado River system. The pesky mollusks have subsequently been located at Lake Mohave and Lake Havasu and now theyÂ’ve turned up in the Colorado River. Bureau of Reclamation Regional Director Bob Walsh said divers have found live quagga mussels during inspections at a spillway at Hoover Dam.
    ``The mussels were located sporadically on the steel grates of the intake tower, between about 30 and 85 feet deep, and on rocks in the bottom of the river channel near the spillway outlet,” Walsh said. ``There are four intake towers at Hoover Dam; they deliver water from Lake Mead to the generating units in the dam’s power plant.”
    Walsh added the dam’s water delivery and power generating functions have not been affected by the mussels. He said the various pipes and intake structures used for power generation and water delivery will continue to be inspected given that the mussels multiply in great numbers and can clog and cause damage when attaching themselves to infrastructure. Walsh said divers will conduct additional inspections at Hoover, Davis and Parker Dams to measure the possible presence of the mussels. ``In addition, reclamation is researching how other hydroelectric power plants have been affected by this mussel, and what types of maintenance programs they have implemented to successfully address these infestations,” he said.

Ziggy
    Wonder if they taste any good?
    Clam bake time
    This could really be bad for the Colorado since it relys so heavily on the control features of all the dams, I see an increase in water costs coming in the near future for all us So Cal'ers.

SummerBreeze
    I am sure this has something to do with people peeing in the lake

moneypit
    Anyone into diving? Sounds like there will be a need for divers in the lakes and rivers to keep these guys off of some spendy equipment.

SOCALDETAIL1
    I heard a rumor that if you wax your boat on a regular basis they cant stick to your boat?????????

BDMar
    Cindy (Bunny166) called me last night to say they got stopped at the check point on the 40 by Moabi on their way back to Needles and their boat was inspected for the Mussels. I'm sure she will post something about it when they get back tonight. They told her they will be checking all boats this summer....

Boatcop
    Cindy (Bunny166) called me last night to say they got stopped at the check point on the 40 by Moabi on their way back to Needles and their boat was inspected for the Mussels. I'm sure she will post something about it when they get back tonight. They told her they will be checking all boats this summer....
    I would bet that pretty soon, ALL towed boats will end up being stopped and inspected going through the California Agriculture Inspection Stations.
    California has a vested interest in keeping the little buggers at bay, and the infrastructure is already in place.

RiverDave
    This is gonna suck big time..
    Alan, do you know if they'll allow dredging in the keys in the future to clean these things out? If not all the rocks around the docks are going to be razor sharp and present a problem for swimmers etc.. Atleast on the bright side we might be able to make some of the channels a little deeper as well under this pretext.
    RD

Boatcop
    This is gonna suck big time..
    Alan, do you know if they'll allow dredging in the keys in the future to clean these things out? If not all the rocks around the docks are going to be razor sharp and present a problem for swimmers etc.. Atleast on the bright side we might be able to make some of the channels a little deeper as well under this pretext.
    RD
    I don't know who you mean by "they". All that's needed to dredge the canals is a permit from the Corps of Engineers. The dredging would have to be paid for by the Homeowner's Association. For a project that big, you're talking a few hundred thousand dollars. I doubt that the Keys has that much sitting around, and I know the residents wouldn't support an assessment to cover it.
    I suppose that they could go in with dozers and backhoes as in "self-help", when the River is dropped. But remember that the entire canal system is lined with plastic sheeting, which would have to be replaced.
    The Corps also has a prohibition on ANY heavy equipment in any part of the River bed.
    The rip-rap (rocks) under most of the docks also helps control erosion, so they won't want to remove it all.

jrgaudettes
    I also got inspected this weekend on the way home. (62 & 95.) Asked me to remove the plugs and gave me information on Mussels. I was told the same thing, all boats inbound to Calif are going to be inspected untill further notice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast