Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water flow through motor

jkh04200
    I know its been talked about many times before, but.......
    Ther water coming out of exhaust tips and also by feeling the manifolds, one side is gonna be hotter than the other because the water is in the block longer. My question is, how come on the starboard side, or right side looking at the back, the water is hotter and also there is about half as much water coming out of that tip as compared to the other???

Moneypitt
    Need more info as to your plumbing, pump, exits and dumps.........MP

jkh04200
    Sorry, Its a Merc. 228 (305) I/O

Moneypitt
    Sorry, Its a Merc. 228 (305) I/O
    I'd say you're going to have to wait until someone with this specific experience comes along. I have no idea how your boat is plumbed, pumped, or dumped............MP

jkh04200
    Any ideas?????

SmokinLowriderSS
    Post the question over here:
    Boating ABC .com (http://www.boatingabc.com/forums/ubb...s.php/ubb/cfrm)
    Much better odds there, more stock boats and I/O's there.

cfm
    1) You probably have an Alpha drive. These use a pump in the drive vs engine mounted. These Alpha pumps do not push much water at idle. Because of this, Merc uses a t-stat housing with two spring loaded valves (one goes to one side of exhaust and the other to other side) to try to maintain equal pressure, especially in low speed applications.
    2) The engine mounted recirculation pumps are not high $$$ precision units and thus will pump more gph to one side vs the other.
    3) Always possible one exhaust manifold is more corroded than the other and/or is casted slightly different and thus different coolant passages.
    I can only tell you the above but not if you actually have a problem. Water / cooling problems can be a beatch to diagnose sometimes and must be gone thru one by one. Never forget to look for collapsed/kinked hoses and rusted and/or blocked exhaust manifolds.

centerhill condor
    flow and temp are inversely related. higher water flow means less temp and less water flow means greater temp. it appears as if, based on the limited information given, you have some sort of restriction on the hot side.
    you may use a radiator flushing compound rated for aluminum...I'd pull some of the hoses and see if there's fod (foreign object debris) in the loop.

Pismo
    I love the merc 228, had one for 25 years with over 3000hrs w/o any major work.

DMOORE
    Not that they are the same, but both of my BBC's port side exhaust run a bit warmer . You can feel the difference with the touch. Not a huge difference but it's there.
    Darrell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast