Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big Rig Drivers?????????

Big Warlock
    Rio makes the most sense out of all of this. The guy has been there. I own a business that is not specifically trucking, but I own three heavy haulers to move heavy equipment. I also have my class 1 with doubles, tankers and hazardous endorsements. I drove truck way, way back in the 80's, cross country with an outfit that has since gone out of business. I don't have a ton of experience, but enough to have learned this:
    If it fly, floats, f*cks or rolls........rent it!!!! :crossx:
    Of course, I never listen to my own advice! LOL

ShutYaPieHole
    Dont stop know keep the info coming.
    Rich

lucky
    Welll , lets just start out by saying after years of going with dad when i was a kid , polishing the dam alum wheels and washing , greasing , and brake adj. on weekends I had enough of trucking when i was 18 y/o . He offered me his peterbuilt when i graduated -- AHMMMM NO THANKS Dad !!! lol I became a butcher for albertsons for a few years , Then Ended up in trucking again ??? There is Money to be made ! Buuuuuutt It's not easy money - Trucking takes a very sharp indivdule - with good people skills , net working abilities , mech. abilitys , and someone very good with a Pencil ! The average truck working for a Company will make $120,000--- 160,000 per year ! You will have to pay your own fuel , taxes , maintence , lic and permits - bit inspections - and drug programs - Workmens comp if the company requires it. ( most do for liablity reasons , even though it's not required by law for a o/o ) You Better put money away for a rainey day / (truck maintence days when the truck isn't making rev) If you have a family ,your wise to finds some health care coverage ! now with this BRIEF summery -- YOu will NET about 33%- 50 % depending on your equipment - I.e -new truck less maitence, older truck more maintence ! YOu will Work 70 plus hours a week - and the Bears seem to have personal vedetta's agaist trucks -- fines across the us have been driven up as an attempt to control Saftey ! unfortunaly every goverment official inturprets the law slightly differnet and there is alot of room to write tickets - to generate rev. for the state, gov.
    Now If your willing to Be truly independent and run your OWN Bussiness you should have very new and dependable equipment - good contacts , some capitol - and that truck to be loaded as much as possiable - at least a 80% loaded /20% emty senerio - YOU Will work on that truck when your not driving - You will write off your tool, office, phones , personal company vech leased to you ( I would lease new trucks every 3 - 4 years ) You Can hire your underage kid to grease the truck and give him/ her a 1500. tax credit ( yes! You can do this !
    ( this has to happen , but doesn't( customers are the key ) )Your customers will pay you every two weeks - You will pay your fuel card off monthly - Your customers will compensate you for fuel - You will bill your customers as your waiting to get unloaded off of your lap top and keep accurate records of transactions - You will have your shit together and you will make money -- $200,000-- to 260,000- but it is not an easy deal and YOU HAVE TO BE SMART / LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!! You will have married that truck and your family will have to be a loving part of your company because you will not have the time you once did - ps This is true in both senerio's
    Working for a company like the one i work for is great for someone that doesn't have knowedge / contacts in/ of the business -- We do Everything for you - and charge you for it ( very resonable ) You will have all your taxes items prepared for you to hand to your tax guy at the end of the year , you will have some one to lend you money when you need it - you will have some one to process your billing for you , You will have someone to take care of your fueling needs for you , you will have money in your hand every two weeks , you will have freight every day - You will MAKE A LIVING !
    We will pay for your insurance ( liability / cargo ) which can run an average of 10,000 a year YOu will have to supply bob tail and comprehensive ! You will have to be resonsiable for your equipment and make it reliable ! You will have to have a profesional attitude and be courtious to customers ( you can tell your dispatcher to fock off , we're use to it !! lol ) YOU will learn about the trucking industry!!!!
    If you crunch # and you do so honestly you will see that every trucking company on the road is paying about the same thing ! They just sell it a lil differnent !!!!! bottom line -- If you know what your doing - you would not be asking these questions - if you don't you should start by working for a company for a lil while to get a feel for things and see if it's right for you ! Don't expect to get rich ,but you will make a living !!!
    my opinion a truck with 600,000 miles will have a shelf live of 1-2 years before your odds of mech repairs become inevitable - ( shop rates run $90. to 100.00 an hour and they just don't jump on your truck anymore It will sit for a day or two !!!!! this is what kills you unless your prepared for it !!!
    It Could be a decent starting truck , but look ahead ! go threw it with a fine tooth comb -- We have lease purchase programs ( like every tom dick and harry trucking company - lol) we have been selling our units 2002 - 2004 with 150,000 miles to 500,000 miles for a thousand a month vs- term of agreed price of unit with payments taken out bi monthly and a maintence accountfor engine maintence , tires , brakes ( major repairs only )
    so find what make you happy as you will be in charge of your own destiney look for traffic lanes so you can visit your house -- Truckers are always good about telling your there negitve experieces - so listen to everyone and form your own oppinion ! chris

Wet Dream
    Jucky, what company are you with?

lucky
    Jucky, what company are you with?
    www.osterkampgrp.com

DansBlown73Nordic
    Just thought Id ad my .02 Cents........First off a 45 foot flat is way way out of date. If you were only going to haul machinery then maybe, but you are so limited.
    I have driven for a company for about ten years as a company driver. For me it works out great. Im home every day. Are work is very steady. We have flats, vans, 100ft stretch trailers, drop decks, and low boys. So I get a huge selection of frieght. For me its been great.
    I have been thinking of buying a truck. I would do exactly what I have done for 10 years only with my own truck. After reading this im not sure....lol :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:

HighRoller
    IMO, the only thing you could do with that equipment would be local work. The engine is underpowered and the trailer is too small for OTR stuff.
    As far as owning a truck, a lot of people laugh when I tell them not to buy one unless you have the equivalent of 3-4 months expenses capital behind you. After all, nothing THAT bad culd happen, could it? WRONG. I lost an engine in my truck, costing me $6000 to rebuild and two weeks of downtime. The guy did a horrible job and the truck went back in the shop for another week at another place to the tune of $3400. I was on the road 317 miles(I will never forget it!) when my transmission started eating itself up. Another 4 days and $5000 later I was back on the road, only to discover they left a washer in the gearbox which promptly found its way through the 5/10 gearset. The rebuild was free, but I lost another 3 days. All tolled, I lost about $15,000 in revenue and spent almost $15000 in repairs in 6 weeks.
    This is the worst case scenario, but if it happened to me it could happen to you too.

DansBlown73Nordic
    I think one of the keys to O/O is the truck purchase. the truck im looking at is a 99 Frieghtliner with 396,000 miles and driven since new by a guy who is a Fanatic (sp)? I mean oil changes every 10,000 miles, warms the truck up for 30 minutes before moving it. Drives 60 mph all the time. It has a 435 Cat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123