Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any VERIZON feild workers in here...?

Riverat84
    im testing in bellflower on thurs. for a fiber optic tech position and was looking for ANY advice from you peeps. thanx.
    Reid

im testing in bellflower on thurs. for a fiber optic tech position and was looking for ANY advice from you peeps. thanx.
    Reid
    I had FIOS installed last week at my house and have the guys cell phone number if you want to give him a call, PM if you would like it.

Riverat84
    bump

25dic
    What does a Fiber Optic Tech pay, I do a lot of fiber work as an electrician, just wondering the going rate.

Riverat84
    well my buddy that works for the regular telecom phone line part says that w/ my electrical background, and my no fear for heights(oil refinery) that i could start out close to or at 20/hour but thats just rumors...i know for a fact it'll pay more than im making right now and im only 22!

Racer277
    IMO,
    A lot of guys can install and terminate fiber.
    It's harder to find ones that can diagnose and trouble shoot.
    Do you know when to use a power meter, and when to use an otdr?
    Have you had factory training with any of the manufacturers? (to ensure warranty validity, they all require factory training).
    Everything you work with should be singlemode, so that makes your life easier (fewer tools).
    Remember your safety procedures, you are working with very small pieces of glass (disposal of ends, etc).
    Everything should be lasers, so don't look into the end of it...LOL.

dumbandyoung
    Reid
    my uncle would be the guy to interview you I think
    Good luck!

Riverat84
    my uncle would be the guy to interview you I think
    Good luck!
    what!?!? really? he works at the bellflower branch? yeah i dont know if interveiws will be going on, but ill be just as happy if i get through the testing part...

Riverat84
    IMO,
    A lot of guys can install and terminate fiber.
    It's harder to find ones that can diagnose and trouble shoot.
    Do you know when to use a power meter, and when to use an otdr?
    Have you had factory training with any of the manufacturers? (to ensure warranty validity, they all require factory training).
    Everything you work with should be singlemode, so that makes your life easier (fewer tools).
    Remember your safety procedures, you are working with very small pieces of glass (disposal of ends, etc).
    Everything should be lasers, so don't look into the end of it...LOL.
    yeah for sure, i know about half of what youre talking about.

cdog
    My best friend works for verizon in Temecula. We were both telcom copper splicers back in the day. Their fiber techs top out at 28 and hour. Decent pay but you'll never be able to afford that home in the background of your business card. (joke) The test people are a bunch of laid off DMV employees. Their nobody to be overly concerned with. Your placement will depend on how well you do on your test. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast