Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Help Please? Not running right

HammerDown
    Also there's a correct way to set up those Dual Point Mallory's...are you aware of it? If not I can hook you up, just ask.

blowngas
    Lumpy:
    Hello,
    I am trying to get my 427 chevy dialed in for the season. It has a dual point mallory and a holley 750 on it. This winter I put on new plug wires, plugs, cap and rotor and new fuel pump. I got it running but it has a miss and won't idle. I pulled all the plugs and all of them look dark except cylinder number 1 which looks like it has never been run. I checked it for spark and it seems fine. The intake and exhaust valves are opening and closing fine. I re-adjusted all the valves just to make sure. I am going to change plugs tommorrow since the closest auto parts store is 30 miles away. Any ideas? Thanks....Lumpy Sounds like you covered everthing but the points in the mallory dual point distributor----when I ran a points setup, seems like I had to file them the first thing every summer to get the motor to start---if they are ok, check the voltage from the resistor(if you have one) some times too low a voltage makes a motor hard to start---

blowngas
    blowngas:
    Lumpy:
    Hello,
    I am trying to get my 427 chevy dialed in for the season. It has a dual point mallory and a holley 750 on it. This winter I put on new plug wires, plugs, cap and rotor and new fuel pump. I got it running but it has a miss and won't idle. I pulled all the plugs and all of them look dark except cylinder number 1 which looks like it has never been run. I checked it for spark and it seems fine. The intake and exhaust valves are opening and closing fine. I re-adjusted all the valves just to make sure. I am going to change plugs tommorrow since the closest auto parts store is 30 miles away. Any ideas? Thanks....Lumpy Sounds like you covered everthing but the points in the mallory dual point distributor----when I ran a points setup, seems like I had to file them the first thing every summer to get the motor to start---if they are ok, check the voltage from the resistor(if you have one) some times too low a voltage makes a motor hard to start--- while your into it, take a good look at the cap---might be cracked----take some electrical cleaner and clean it good before putting it back on---check for corosion on the terminals---if its etched a lot---replace the cap---

Free Agent
    Some of the old dual point Mallorys have a phase angle difference between the point settings.
    Phase angle was simply different dwell settings on each set of points, allowing them to function in series for a longer period of time. Important that you have the right dwell on the correct set of points. Not having this causes the symptoms you mention.
    If you don't have this (you may not) then:
    Disconnect the wiring to your tachometer (Tape it off too), and try the boat out,,,
    Man,, I'm really thinking back through years of beers and rum & cokes,, but another common simple problem is: check the wire to each set of points. Make sure the crows foot connection wasn't accidently slid under the points resting on the distributor base itself, and if you have a plastic washer, check that it's not incorrectly placed, both causing poor contact with the terminal.
    3 very common, simple problems mentioned above.
    - The Turbo Family
    (yea, that's our real name)
    "People Who Say Money Can't Buy Happiness, Never Had Either One"
    [ May 17, 2003, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Free Agent ]

Lumpy
    Thanks for all the responses guys!
    Ok here's the deal. I put all new plugs in it and tried a different wire on number one. All plugs are firing correctly. The points are new and are adjusted correctly. New cap and rotor. Timing is as good as I can get it with a dead cylinder. I ran it and saw water coming from the exhaust manifold gasket. Oh yea, I forgot to mention I also put on a new intake manifold gasket since the old one was leaking at the end seals So I am assuming it is leaking from the water port into cylinder 1 intake port. Even though the gasket appears to be on correctly and all the bolts torqued to specs. Just curious if it is possible for water to pass from the water jacket to the intake port through the intake bolt that is in the middle of both ports? Should I put silicone on the bolt? I have never had a problem after putting on an intake gasket before but I guess there is always a first time. I hope this is it. It is gonna be 95 in a few days and the lake is full! Thanks again....Lumpy
    [ May 17, 2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Lumpy ]

Thunderbutt
    Pull the plug and turn the motor over see if you have water in thr hole.

Free Agent
    What was the actors name that played Lumpy Rutherford in the TV show Leave it To Beaver?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12