Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health Insurance for small business

OCMerrill
    Small business owners...who do you use?
    Well, I just renewed our group medical insurance for the company through Cal Choice again (under protest). It should be called because you don't have a choice use Cal Choice.
    Very expensive. This year I switched out the PPO (bye doctor of 15 years my family will miss you) to a Kaiser HMO. I just never met the $2400 before Blue Cross (written by Cal Choice) would pay anything. At least with this I can get something back for the $968 mo. Thats for me as the owner, wife as the employee to get me my group coverage. No other employees want it. Can't blame them.
    I just tried to get private ins. through several brokers to save some money. Because of my sons medical issues at birth (he is 4 now) and my wifes issues at my sons birth...we are medically Black Listed on the freaking TRW version of our medical profile. Fawkers.
    So for those thinking of leaving the big corporate world a major downfall is Health Insurance for the small guy. Be healthy or your screwed.
    When my wife worked for Steel Case we had United Health care and it was very reasonably priced and paid for everything. The good ole days.

blown65
    Ya, it sux. With a 2k deductible doctor and 200 prescription a family is 950 a month for us. Then figure a minimum of 15% increase in prem a yr.
    BUT and a big BUT, you'll be very thankful you have it if something major ever happens.
    Thats unless your an illegal, you can just get free health care.

OCMerrill
    At least with Kaiser my family can go to the Doc for a Copay instead of meeting that high calendar year deductible.
    I don't know. I have heard horror stories about Kaiser, good ones too.
    My Grandmother is 95 years old. Kaiser for the past 40 years. They are keeping her going so hopefully they can properly diagnose the common cold for my kids.
    Last year I spent almost $6K for doctor bills above and beyond the monthly insurance costs. This was spread across the family and never met the deductible.
    Now I will make the payment and pay $40 per visit and if they order xrays, labs, or whatever its included.
    Still allot of money.

blown65
    At least with Kaiser my family can go to the Doc for a Copay instead of meeting that high calendar year deductible.
    I don't know. I have heard horror stories about Kaiser, good ones too.
    My Grandmother is 95 years old. Kaiser for the past 40 years. They are keeping her going so hopefully they can properly diagnose the common cold for my kids.
    Last year I spent almost $6K for doctor bills above and beyond the monthly insurance costs. This was spread across the family and never met the deductible.
    Now I will make the payment and pay $40 per visit and if they order xrays, labs, or whatever its included.
    Still allot of money.
    Ya, ours is 2k, but that is per person (max of 3 or 6k out of pocket)
    Then its 20% after.

H20 Toie
    We use Blue Shield, i would never have to put my employees thru Kaiser. my dad had it when i was a kid and it sucked big time. i have never heard anything good about them.
    I only have 10 employees so it is real tough to get good rates and i also cover the families, hopefully i can keep doing it.
    It was the best i could find but it sure wasn't the cheapest

tcook33
    Kaiser here. I know it used to be bad insurance, but they've changed things over there and I've had really good feedback from my employees.
    I've gone a few times myself and have had no issues. I had my ACL replaced and have no reoccurring issues. Dr. Moore out of Woodland Hills did a good job.

BajaMike
    Kaiser here. I know it used to be bad insurance, but they've changed things over there and I've had really good feedback from my employees.
    I've gone a few times myself and have had no issues. I had my ACL replaced and have no reoccurring issues. Dr. Moore out of Woodland Hills did a good job.
    I think Kaiser is great, I've never had to wait more then 5 minutes for anything, I can see the doctor on the same day or next day that you call. The office in San Juan is very nice and not real busy.
    They are very good! Dr. Nanda at the San Juan office is cool too!
    :idea:

Strippoker
    When we set up the new company we shopped like crazy due to my daughter and wife having some problems. Health Net kicked all the companies in the dirt for the coverage. With having a Dad in the medical field he helped bring up a point with Kaiser, that if you are hurt at havasu your taking a flight with other insurance you get care ASAP.

tcook33
    I think Kaiser is great, I've never had to wait more then 5 minutes for anything
    Exactly. They seem to have a pretty tight ship over there now.

tcook33
    if you are hurt at havasu your taking a flight
    Interesting. I need to look into that. Even with the POS plan?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast