Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snapped the prop shaft..

Infomaniac
    Ok first major failure for the Cougar.
    Snapped the prop shaft off inside the prop. Looks like at the first thread. I did strip out the coupler the first time I hit the throttle wide open (3 years ago)
    Took a chunk out of the rudder. Did not touch anything else.
    Counting blessings, had my son in the boat.
    Was crusiing about 40 hit the throttle hard to get the final blast before reaching the no wake zone. The boat took a set - accelerated like crazy and then "Zing"
    I looked down - it was still in gear - let it idle long enough to look at the fire coming out of the zoomies. (about dark) got towed the final 100 yards to the ramp.
    Will take pics tomorrow.
    The boat did not even know something happened as it slowed to a stop. Who says v-drive tunnels are death traps?
    Very strange that it happened to a friend's hydro 1 week ago tonight. We were going to race - he put it in gear and nothing happened. Snapped his shaft inside the prop. A diver found his prop in about 45 seconds tonight.
    Not sure if I want to find my prop after hitting the rudder.
    Will start ordering parts tomorrow.

GofastRacer
    Damn that sucks, sorry to hear that glad nobody got hurt!.. frown

superdave013
    Who are you getting the shaft from? I've been shopping around and so far V Drive Tom is in the lead for me.

That sucks Info and it sounds like you got off lucky too. We should have Aquamet 22 in stock if you need just give a call.

Lookin for Liquid
    Sorry to hear the news but it sounds like it could have been much worse. If you need help on the rudder, let me know as we have them in stock.
    Dan
    Canyon Marine
    [ July 18, 2003, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Lookin for Liquid ]

Snowboat
    Wow, that's scary. Glad you're alright. I hope its because there was something wrong with the shaft rather than having too much HP for a 1" shaft. Soooooo, what are the requirements for high HP, light weight boats? Don't some SS boats run a 7/8" shaft?

hottrodder
    Most old marathon boats and todays ski race boats run 1 1/8".

V-Drive Tom
    There is no set rule for how much you can over power a given prop shaft diameter.(I know,DUH..)
    If you are going to run a blown alcohol engine,AND you run your boat at the races, along with lake racing, then I would replace the shaft EVERY YEAR.
    If you don't run the boat much then longer.
    There materials out there that are COPIES of Aqua-Met grade material. They work OK but are not AS good.
    Sometimes, a lesser grade (AQ17 or19) gets sold as a grade 22.(not good!)
    A true AQ-22-one inch shaft will take alot of abuse, but you have to check them.(dye check)
    Thats why you see all of the red dye and white powder on SHAFTS and PROPS at the boat races.
    The 7/8 shafts that the circle boat guys are running is definitely a test of the limits.(my opinion)
    I sell true AQUA-MET material,at a great price.
    A new prop shaft is good for piece of mind and safety. Smart money spent...TOM.. smile_sp

Snowboat
    Tom, I have no idea how old my shaft is. Do you check the grade by Rockwell hardness or another way?

Infomaniac
    Expect a phone call today Tom.
    My shaft was only 15 years old.
    Maybe the newer material should last twice as long?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast