Thread: Any of you machinist types use a CMM?

STV_Keith
    Just wondering what the capabilities of a CMM are? I mean, how much into 3-d will they go? I've got a piece that I'm trying to replicate, but at a scale of 1:1.3, and rather than draw it in Solid Works, I'm thinking a CMM might be the better way to go.

wsuwrhr
    They will not measure in 3D per se.
    CMM is mostly for doing point to point measuring. It is capable to measure a 3D surface, but the CMM needs some kind of program to measure a surface like I think you are describing.
    You can get reverse engineering done like you are describing.
    I am trying to find the company I used.
    Brian
    Just wondering what the capabilities of a CMM are? I mean, how much into 3-d will they go? I've got a piece that I'm trying to replicate, but at a scale of 1:1.3, and rather than draw it in Solid Works, I'm thinking a CMM might be the better way to go.

wsuwrhr
    I am not a solidworks guru.
    Are you able to replicate it 1:1 and then scale it up?
    Brian

Havasu1986
    My wife is the machinist in the family..She runs the family business..Milling and turning mostly for Disneyland and Magic Mountain.

STV_Keith
    Thanks guys. After some more looking around the i-net, it seems there are 3d-laser CMM options out there. Just need to find one that won't charge me an arm and a leg. Anyone have an in there?

wsuwrhr
    Thanks guys. After some more looking around the i-net, it seems there are 3d-laser CMM options out there. Just need to find one that won't charge me an arm and a leg. Anyone have an in there?
    RD has some connections to rapid prototyping, maybe he knows someone that does reverse engineering.
    Brian