Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top mount starter help needed

1968Droptop
    I've ordered a Lightning Mfg. rail kit for my Ford powered Daytona. I'm told they currently are using a 2 bolt style top mount starter. Do they offer a reverse rotation 2 bolt high torque 'mini' starter ? A buddy has a reverse rotation 3 bolt starter that's used for a good deal, and I'm wondering if I can easily convert it to a 2 bolt style mount ? Thanks as always.

Duane HTP
    There's no easy way to convert it that I know of. BUT, I may not know much!

Most the 2 bolt top mounts are Delco bolt pattern. Most the 3 bolters are Prestolite pattern. No way to change that I know of without changing the to the other style bellhousing "if" one is available for your application. Both top mounts are decent and aftermarket companies make hi torque mini starters to fit both as well.

cruser
    Yes they make a 2 bolt reverse rotation topmount starter. I got mine from Rex Marine. Seems like it was around $300-350. (I think part number 302LC)
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...tarter-med.JPG
    Here is the link to the REX page. http://rexmar.com/page306.html
    I did have to work at getting it properly line up though. I had to call IMI to get a spacer. They shipped it for free.

1968Droptop
    Yes they make a 2 bolt reverse rotation topmount starter. I got mine from Rex Marine. Seems like it was around $300-350. (I think part number 302LC)
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...tarter-med.JPG
    Here is the link to the REX page. http://rexmar.com/page306.html
    I did have to work at getting it properly line up though. I had to call IMI to get a spacer. They shipped it for free.
    You still moving out of Oregon ? Thanks for the info guys.

cruser
    Drop,
    Yep, moving in March. Will be in PHX around March 13/14th. No more (at least very little) rain for me. They guys down there are going out to the lake today for their season opener. Wish we could do that.

OverKill
    There is no season opener here, it's alway's open LOL

Jetaholic
    There's no easy way to convert it that I know of. BUT, I may not know much!
    Ronjane may know...

Rex has the IMI mini reverse rotation starters.
    I dont know if Lightning pre drills the holes for the top mount bracket or not but if not make sure its in the perfect location, if its not right your going to chew up some parts. We just went through a nightmare deal with this, our bracket was installed .050 too high and it mowed the gears off numerous times, we got it sorted out now and its working great.
    Good luck.

On the rear motor plate, it will fit on the block backwards! I bought a nice used Lightning rail kit, the guy had nothing but problems with it he said. Upon inspection, and cleaning, I found an S stamped on the plate near the starter location. I reversed the plate, mounted the started adapter, and installed. I never had a starter issue. I got a box of starters he had tried as part of the deal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast