Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Log Manifold removal

bocco
    I have a 454 with rectangle heads and aluminum log exhaust manifolds in a V-drive cruiser. When I bought the boat a couple of years ago I didn't notice that one of the previous owners had about 5 exhaust gaskets stacked on the right hand side. My guess is that the manifold is warped. Also used bolts instead of studs which are on the left side of the engine. So I went to pull the manifold and I can't get a socket on the bolts. They barely have enough clearance to get the socket halfway on the bolt head. The other side fits the socket easily. 9/16 on both sides. Looking for a suggestion besides grinding off the bolt heads.
    Thanks
    Gary

SmokinLowriderSS
    A crow's foot on a socket extension and lots of swearing at the previous owner. :idea:
    Oh, a case of beer, minimum, 2 would be better.
    PB Blaster too, and pray there was no loc-tite involved. :sqeyes:

GofastRacer
    Oh man can I relate to this, some people shouldn't be allowed to work on stuff!.. A crow foot or an open end wrench is your only option, but don't go to the point of rounding off the bolt head, if it won't come loose put some heat on the head around the area of the bolt, most of the time the bolt will break loose if it don't you may have to grind the head off???..

YeLLowBoaT
    Nut spilter works every time and its alot ezer then trying to take one off 1/4 turn of a combonation wrench each time.

Take a cheaper socket and grind down the outer diameter, see if this will work for you.

bocco
    What seems so strange is that one side has plenty of clearance for the socket and the other doesn't. If I do get the bolts loose what's best style of bolts to use to put them back on?

VDRIVERACING
    First, attend to the manifold question. That may dictate your next move. If you can, use studs and get thinner wall nuts. I forget what they call them exactly, but they still have a wide base to contact the surface but you can get a socket on them.
    If you have to use bolts for clearance reasons, use allen heads so you can easily get in those tight spots.

Schiada76
    So why is it that every set of headers made there's at least a couple of bolts that you just can't get to?

SmokinLowriderSS
    So why is it that every set of headers made there's at least a couple of bolts that you just can't get to?
    My lightings, on studs, with the reduced-head nuts (and locking ones too)
    2 on 1 side, 1 on the other, one of which, on 1 side which had to go on just behind the headers since with the header bolted down, there is not enough room for the nut to go on/off the stud.
    Yea, crazy. I think this is why some genious invented allen-head bolts, and another invented ball-end allen wrenches.

GofastRacer
    How about studs with 12 point nuts!..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast