Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geeting clear coat off??

Towndrunk
    What is the fastest way to get clear coat off. My boat is peeling everywhere some dumbass cleared it. God what a night mare.

Tom Brown
    I hope you get a great answer to your question. I've stripped the peeling clear off a couple of cars with 80 grit on the DA and it wasn't particularly fast. Of course, from there I had to switch to a long board and try to undo the damage done by the low grit DA work.
    Fun fun fun....

Towndrunk
    Christ man, I been sanding on that frigger for ever with 60 grit and my new compressor. I'm about ready to get the sandblaster with fine media out. I need to get this damn thing done! Is an air file sander any faster?

YeLLowBoaT
    have you tried any mild solvents yet?
    Some times they will make clear craze so you can littler power wash it off... don't ask how I know

Towndrunk
    have you tried any mild solvents yet?
    Some times they will make clear craze so you can littler power wash it off... don't ask how I know
    I won't ask you how you know but what is the name of it? I'm getting desperate.

YeLLowBoaT
    well start with laquer thinner. soak a rage and let it sit on there... if that does not work move on to actone, fallowed by MEK... just be very carful with the mek... it will eat the clear, gel and to the glass if you let it sit. try some place out of the way and do some testing.
    Sanding is sill the best method... 220 on a block should take it down pretty fast.

Towndrunk
    I have tried strip eze. It worked very slooooow. I have been sanding with a da using 60 grit and that is very sloooow. I'm going to town today and see what the paint store says. I don't care if it eats the friggin gel or not cause it'll be faster to patch the FU's.
    THX
    TD

Jbb
    What is the fastest way to get clear coat off. My boat is peeling everywhere some dumbass cleared it. God what a night mare.
    On a few projects where I have had large areas of clear peeling......I was able to remove alot of it by running a single edge razor blade under it at about a 60 degree angle.....It takes some practice...and you will gouge a few spots during the learning curve.....but it works well.....sand whats left....There are lots more people in the know than me...but in my own experience, I just dont like using solvents and strippers on glass...

Tom Brown
    ...but in my own experience, I just dont like using solvents and strippers on glass...
    Ditto.

Towndrunk
    Well I have been using the chems and I'll tell you it's going better already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast