Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEI ignition?

curtis73
    Replacing dead 305 with new 350. I planned on scavenging things like starter, alternator, distributor, carb, etc.... but the old engine has an HEI on it. Did HEI's come as a marine model? Is it safe to use? It doesn't have any markings on it, it just looks like a GM HEI dizzy.
    Just trying to figure out if I need to procure a marine distributor as part of this.

BDMar
    The Delco Voyager was an HEI marine ignition supplied on some boats. I am not aware of any other GM marine HEI ignitions.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I saw some aftermarket HEI's recently on here, but other than that or the one above, I think they were all automotive.
    If you have an engine cover, you are legally required to run a marine dist to avoid the chance of getting written a "hello there" from the water popo someplace. Open engine, no.
    A marine electronic dist will cost ya about $400. I know, first-hand.

curtis73
    Summit has an MSD billet marine distributor for $331, but that doesn't include the coil. Grrr.
    I wouldn't ever worry about po-po where I boat, but I don't want to get blown to smithereens. That's my motivation... fear of death or severe injury that makes me wish I were dead.
    Oh well, Ebay has several used Thunderbolt dizzys for not much money.

Tahiti350
    I've got a semi stock HEI on my Tahiti, but I'm open engine bay.... Works well for my set-up, but I plan to upgrade the cap, rotor and coil this spring to make sure it's as good as it can be

SmokinLowriderSS
    Summit has an MSD billet marine distributor for $331, but that doesn't include the coil. Grrr.
    I wouldn't ever worry about po-po where I boat, but I don't want to get blown to smithereens. That's my motivation... fear of death or severe injury that makes me wish I were dead.
    Oh well, Ebay has several used Thunderbolt dizzys for not much money.
    That's the same reason I follow actually. The MSD Pro Billet Ready-T0-Run is marine, the starter is marine, the bilge fan works great, etc.
    I'll bet the $331 one needs a box. Yep, my Jeggs catologue, $321, Part Number 8560. Requires a box.
    MSD 6M-2 marine box, $275.
    Total, $600, plus a $50 coil.
    The boxless R2R's are $378 and up. Part Number 83606 for Chevy.

curtis73
    Well, looks like I'll have to do an Ebay thunderbolt. Any tips on what to get or avoid? or are they all pretty much straight forward?
    That also explains why the cowl had been removed in this boat. Now I gotta check the starter and alternator too.

curtis73
    Uh... is it just me, or is this a screamin deal at $193 from Summit Racing? Description:
    Brand: PerTronix Performance Products
    Product Line: PerTronix Billet Plug and Play Distributors
    Trigger Style: Hall effect
    Advance Type: Mechanical
    Cap Style: Female/Socket
    Tach Drive: No
    Slip Collar: No
    Gear Material: Iron
    Computer Controlled Compatible: No
    Ignition Box Required: No
    Distributor Rotation: Clockwise
    Helix Rotation: Standard
    Distributor Cap Color: Red
    Housing Material: Billet aluminum
    Housing Finish: Natural
    Quantity: Sold individually.
    Notes: Designed for Marine use.
    Marine Use: Yes
    Distributor, Marine, Plug and Play, Magnetic, Mechanical Advance, Red Cap, Chevy, Big/Small Block, Each
    Check to make sure this part fits your application
    Replace your points or stock electronic distributor with this plug and play unit.
    These PerTronix billet plug and play distributors feature the Ignitor II electronic ignition module, billet CNC-machined housing, an upper roller bearing, a self-lubricating, oil-impregnated copper powder metal lower bushing, and a durable heat-treated gear. They are compatible with any inductive ignition system coil and come with a factory preset performance curve, a mechanical advance limiting adjustment, and a small diameter, high dielectric strength cap and rotor.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I was leaning on a marine Petronix Flamethrower setup but a long-term Hi=Perf boat mod shop told me that he has not seen a lot of good history out of them. Some worked real well, a lot just didn't. His advice I followed and spent the MSD money.
    Good luck to ya wherever you decide to go with it curtis.

cfm
    The Delco Voyager was an HEI marine ignition supplied on some boats. I am not aware of any other GM marine HEI ignitions.
    Yup,and good news it is exactly the same exact thing that is used in '85-'95 GM SBC trucks. The module inside has a pretty good curve for most performance engines. No weights, just module, therefore it's fixed. I've used a good amt of them. These are referred to as external coil HEI or computer controlled HEI.
    Performance Distributors is the only one's I know of that make a marine internal coil HEI. Maybe DUI too ? Not sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast