Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: intake port volumn ( turbos vs. blowers)

badbug
    I want to know when building a twin turbo 526 c.i. engine for riding around and race use,does the port volumn matter in the same respect when using turbos as when using a blower. I have a ported set of -2 plus heads and was wondering if I should have bought a 2x or larger set of heads. Motor runs up to6800 rpm and quits pulling. Turbos are 60-1 hi-fi turbonetics. Camshaft is full roller 114 l.c.260intake @ .050 and 242 exhaust @ .050. 14 lbs boost

Infomaniac
    badbug I have seen lack of fuel flow cause them to quit pulling many times. Take a very close look at the fuel system. Especially the the supply line from the tank.

BOOSTDADDY
    badbug-infomaniac is on to something, be sure to check the entire fuel system, including the vents on the tanks.Be sure that you are not trying to run all the fuel through 1 regulator. A single regulator will not support the HP you should be making. As far as the heads they should not be a problem. Do you need more than 6800rpm? Any more RPM and Valve Train issues will turn up!
    Good Luck!

schiada96
    I don't think you want a tt turbo to spin any more than 6500? I think most of the serious turbo engine guys like to load the motor down. More gear bigger prop

badbug
    Fuel system should not the problem. It is a full race mechanical with -12AN inlet and -12 outlet straight to the carburetor fuel manifold. 8 lbs. pressure and never drops. Outlet from tank is coming right off the lowest point of the v and back side of tank. I 'm thinking the turbos might have run out of volumn. Any Turbo Gurus out there?

You didn't say if you are running wastegates, if you aren't then what is the exhaust housing A/R ratio? May be too small. What rpm are you looking for?

badbug
    I am running wastegates, set at 14 lbs. boost. I would think that at 14lbs. of boost I would be making in the neighborhood of 900-950 horsepower with a 526 c.i. engine.That should be enough to rpm amything I would think. I really need about 7200 rpms to get what I need out of my prop. Im not concerned with top speed as much as I am in e.t.'n in the quarter mile. Yes I am dragracing this 22ft. in-out.. Great fun!!

I would check exhaust gas pressure in the manifolds, sounds to me like too much back pressure. Are you running a boost control valve like the Impco boost limiters or exhaust wastegates [where the excess ex. pressure is dumped?]

BOOSTDADDY
    BADBUG- CALL THIS GUY, HE IS THE TURBO GURU YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IN A MARINE APPLICATION. CARSON BRUMMETT (626)792-6410. THIS IS THE GENTLEMAN THAT PURCHASED THE GENTRY TURBO SYSTEM AND HAS MADE SOME IMPROVEMENTS ON IT!

VD CRUISER
    Badbug,
    Drag racing the 22 footer? What hull and drive do you have, and what speed does it go?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast