Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey SDBA069

It appears these cheyannes have large reliefs on the sides of the center sponson. Ive seen where they have done that to fast daytonas to reduce lift. How do these run with lower HP engines (like 800 and below)?
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ures110003.jpg
    Nice boat, care to share the weight of the bare hull? This thing should haul with that pro stock engine in it, sounds like fun.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ures110002.jpg
    CS

sdba069
    The Daytona's , at least the earlier ones had a much wider center pod and had a tendancy to kick the tail on the big end and building in the reliefs would help with that. All I can tell you about the weight is that I was pleasantly surprised. Most all of the ones that we have worked on in the past have had 800 or more HP and I can only attest that they work well. I did have a heavier lake version a few years ago that we did extensive work on the bottom of and it worked pretty well with just under 800 HP.

cyclone
    nice boat.

The Daytona's , at least the earlier ones had a much wider center pod and had a tendancy to kick the tail on the big end and building in the reliefs would help with that.
    What do you mean building in the relief ?I think I know what your saying, just want to clarify.

sdba069
    A friend of mine from Houston has one that we were having problems with kicking the tail. He actually cut out on both sides of the center pod and made reliefs which in effect narrowed the pod creating less lift and got the boat where we could tune the hardware without going to extreme measures. He had to go back to square one on the hardware setup and build from there, but it turned out very nice and functional.

Thanks for the clarification sdba.Ive noticed alot of the other pickleforks that are being made have reliefs like this cheyanne,very interesting. I wonder if alot of that comes from people splashing succesfull race boat bottoms.
    Does the piece of wood thats in the center section of the boat between the stringers serve a purpose? I had to remove mine, it was in the way.

Jeff Bennett
    The reliefs in the Eliminator center sponson came about in 1978 when I was working with Norm Grimes and Greg Shoemaker. These tunnels generated too much lift in some water conditions. I originally ground out the reliefs which solved the lift problem, but it became a structural issue and the boats were coming apart around the intake. I had wood reliefs built that were installed in the Daytona mold so that new race boats could have the reliefs without a structural problem. Cheyenne copied the relief design when they tooled their 19 tunnel.
    Jeff

Hey Jeff, hows it going?
    So a relief like the one shown in the pic is similar to what we would have seen on the Gambler or JP's yellow/orange boat?
    BTW, I hear JP sold that yellow/orange boat and the new owner is planning on racing it, they are hoping to run 9.0 class. It will be interesting to see how it rides with a lower HP engine.
    Hope all is well.
    CS

Jeff Bennett
    Hi Chris
    I am doing well and very busy.
    Yes, the reliefs were used in the Gambler and all the Dash for Cash boats and any of the light weight Daytonas that we built.
    As far as JP’s Yellow Daytona, that keel design is intended for a high horsepower / light weight motor. That boat is going to have a problem similar to your’s with too much shoe if they use a lower horsepower motor.
    By the way, I have a whole bunch of jet boat racing photos from the 70’s and later. I still need to scan them, but if you send me your email, I will send you them.
    BTW how do you post photos in this forum?
    Jeff

wsuwrhr
    Hi Chris
    I am doing well and very busy.
    Yes, the reliefs were used in the Gambler and all the Dash for Cash boats and any of the light weight Daytonas that we built.
    As far as JP’s Yellow Daytona, that keel design is intended for a high horsepower / light weight motor. That boat is going to have a problem similar to your’s with too much shoe if they use a lower horsepower motor.
    By the way, I have a whole bunch of jet boat racing photos from the 70’s and later. I still need to scan them, but if you send me your email, I will send you them.
    BTW how do you post photos in this forum?
    Jeff
    Welcome to the forums Mr Bennett.
    Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast