Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amps mounted in the engine compartment

driverno8
    Doing the stereo in the boat next weekend. Wanna put the amps in the engine compartment. Right hand side wall. I've seen them in there before, but is it a good idea? I can understand them getting hot. But the motor isn't on everytime the the stereo is on. And if the motor is on, then there's air coming in because I'm moving. Any suggestions or am I fine?

rivercrazy
    I wouldn't do it. Engine bay installs are really hard on amp. Between the heat, humidity, potential for water, etc, its just a matter of time before your replacing amps.

707dog
    Dont Do It!!..take The Chance Of Burning Up The Amp And Shorting Out Your System. Possably A Fire!! Heat Is A Amps Worst Nightmare..

h2oski2fast
    The motor will hold heat for hours after it is shut off, thus increasing the ambient temperature in the compartment. There are many other better suited places for amps.

atomickitn
    if there is a divider between the amps and eng and they are not next to the eng then you should be fine .. i have had no problems with mine and they have been there for about 4 yrs , and no moister problem either

DMOORE
    Only one thing kills amps, heat.
    Darrell.

shippingguy
    Doing the stereo in the boat next weekend. Wanna put the amps in the engine compartment. Right hand side wall. I've seen them in there before, but is it a good idea? I can understand them getting hot. But the motor isn't on everytime the the stereo is on. And if the motor is on, then there's air coming in because I'm moving. Any suggestions or am I fine?
    Had them in my last 27 Shadow for over 120 hours and never had a heat up issue nor failure. Had one on each side panel. Each application and amp is different though.

ChumpChange
    Only one thing kills amps, heat.
    Darrell.
    What about submerging them in water? Lighting them on fire? Dropping them off a tall building?

driverno8
    Thanks guys for the responses. Guess they're getting moved.
    Now another quick question for you guys. Would you run 2 more batteries? We're doing (1) 4x350 and (2) 1x400 on the amps. Going to 3 sets of compents (5.25 & tweeter) and (4) 10"s. What about capacitor. Just trying to figure this all out. I read one thing, hear another, stereo shop says another. You know how it goes. And if I do run 2 more batteries and a capacitor can my alternator charge all 4 batteries on the boat (stock 490HO). Thanks in advance!

hoolign
    What about submerging them in water? Lighting them on fire? Dropping them off a tall building?
    You forgot shotgun blasts!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast