Thread: Full Hydraulic steering?

JMC
    I have a IMCO dual cylinder steering setup but it uses the basic single cable to the helm, it also has a power steering pump. What will I need to convert this to full hydraulic. Can I just buy a hyd. helm and hoses or do I need a whole new setup? I am worried what might happen if my engine shuts down at high speed becuase its very hard to turn with out the power steering pump running.

DMOORE
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the IMCO setup will allow you you add to your system to go full hydraulic. You will need the helm lines and powersteering pump. Give Imco a call. Yes you do loose the ease of power steering if the motor shuts down, but, you can still maneuver the boat and bring it to a stop. Once you go full hydraulic, you will never owne a boat without it. I would give IMCO a call.
    Darrell.

JMC
    Thanks DMOORE. Are you saying I will still need the power s. pump?

DMOORE
    Thanks DMOORE. Are you saying I will still need the power s. pump?
    Yes you will. I'm thinking it won't be much to install the rest of what you need.
    Darrell.

Dkahnjob
    I have full hydraulic steering with two rams and two pumps, one on each engine. I have not had the boat too long, only had it out 4 times so far. My observation is that the steering wheel does not stay centered, and there is a certain amount of slipage. So if you are steering a course, like going to Catalina Island there is a very small amount of continous movement of the helm. It isn't a problem, just a little different than what I have been used to with full mechanical linkage. I am happy with it, just an observation.
    David

2dasand
    Last summer I bought a new (to me) Hallett 240. It came from a guy who worked for Imco, so it has the works. I had never driven a boat with full hydraulic steering before this, but I must say I love it. Comparing it to other cable/hydraulic systems, and watching the reaction of my friends driving this, as stated above I would never own another boat without it.

bubbletop409
    I have a IMCO dual cylinder steering setup but it uses the basic single cable to the helm, it also has a power steering pump. What will I need to convert this to full hydraulic. Can I just buy a hyd. helm and hoses or do I need a whole new setup? I am worried what might happen if my engine shuts down at high speed becuase its very hard to turn with out the power steering pump running.
    I currently have the same steering setup as you, and I am also interested in converting to full hydraulic. I spoke with a tech rep from Imco last week, and was quoted $ 1350.00 for the complete kit to switch over. You get a hydraulic helm, steering wheel post, all the necessary pressure and return hoses, and an inline hydraulic oil filter assembly. I believe you need to inform them of what type PS pump you currently have, along with the make of the control valve currenlty on the end of the cable at the transom

BADBLOWN572
    It is actually a pretty simple system to setup once you have the twin ram assisted steering. You will need to get a new helm and 4 lines. I highly recommend a cooler for the steering as well, but not always needed.
    You will have to remove the helm, cable, and Brazil valve. Install the new helm and run the hoses from the helm backs to the ram. Overall it is probably a 6-8 hour job.

Dominator Scott
    I have full hydraulic steering with two rams and two pumps, one on each engine. I have not had the boat too long, only had it out 4 times so far. My observation is that the steering wheel does not stay centered, and there is a certain amount of slipage. So if you are steering a course, like going to Catalina Island there is a very small amount of continous movement of the helm. It isn't a problem, just a little different than what I have been used to with full mechanical linkage. I am happy with it, just an observation.
    David
    Your steering wheel will never be straight with full hydraulic steering. Nature of the beast. However if you have slippage or play in your wheel which requires constant corrections in your steering then you could very well have air in the lines. I have full hydraulic and the instant I move the wheel the drives are moving as well. With my hydraulic steering I can set the drives straight let the wheel go while underway and the boat tracks straight as can be until I move the wheel one way or the other. Might be something to check.:idea: